Help identifying and proper removal

Grandville, MI

Purchased our house several years ago and this was fairly small and wasn't bothering us too much. It's significantly increased in size and density and we would like to get rid of it or get some opinions on what to do with it. Also find out what it is. Whatever it is I'm quite allergic to it. If I walk into it I get large red welts on my legs where it ever so lightly touches my skin. It's awful. Any help is very much appreciated. It is about 4 inches deep and lays fairly flat on the ground. Overall it covers a 20X10 area.

Thumbnail by doubleb1 Thumbnail by doubleb1 Thumbnail by doubleb1
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It might be Sargent's Juniper.

https://www.monrovia.com/sargent-s-juniper.html

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It is certainly one of the groundcover types of Juniperus sp.

I haven't had to plant or specify this type of plant in so long, I no longer remember how to separate Juniperus horizontalis, Juniperus procumbens, J. conferta, J. sabina and all the selections and clones and probably trailing versions of normally shrubby or upright species. Regardless, you are experiencing the irritating effect of the juvenile foliage (the pointy sharp needles) on the plant you have. It may simply be an abrasive effect (like if you rubbed coarse sandpaper on your legs), or you may be allergic to it.

Since it is a woody plant, it will have branches that lead back to a trunk. If you want to eliminate it, you will have to cut all those branches off and work back till you find the trunks from which it all started. Then, either dig out that trunk/stump or treat it with a woody plant herbicide to ensure it is dead. I don't think these species resprout readily, but someone else may weigh in with additional experience.

Obviously, gloves/long sleeve shirt/long pants will be necessary to avoid contact with this plant's foliage to reduce chance of further irritation.

Grandville, MI

Thanks for the help! I may just try to trim it and calm it down a bit. There is usually a rabbit that like to camp out in the wintertime in it so I'll leave some of it in place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.