Plants that grow easily from cuttings.

Laredo, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi! I’m new. (Already loving it)

I was told portulaca grows easily from cuttings. I tried it and they are Beasts at growing new roots. It’s crazy. So I was wondering what other plants grow as well as portulaca?

TIA! 😊

Diamond Bar, CA

I've never tried portulaca, but I have several potted purple heart plants (Tradescantia pallida) that I've grown from a stem that blew off of my neighbor's plant in a wind storm. They're really easy to care for and make great gifts (because they're extremely hard to kill) so I've been propagating them from the same windstorm stem for two years.

Echeveria and most other succulents propagate well from cuttings. I'm currently propagating a kalanchoe that had dropped a few leaves on the sidewalk.

Diamond Bar, CA

here's one of my echeverias and the purple heart just a couple months after I recovered the broken stem - they've been super easy to care for.

Thumbnail by missdemeanor Thumbnail by missdemeanor
MILILANI, HI

Most herbaceous plants can be propagated from cuttings. succulents can be propagated even from their leaves, but you do need to callous off the stems of any plant that has milky or sticky sap or they are likely to rot. The trick with propagating any plant is to know when to take the cutting and what type of cutting softwood, semi ripe or hardwood that works best. For that information it is best to look up the specific instructions for propagating a specific plant.

Laredo, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you! 💜

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.