Confusing Calamintha varieties: question!

Portland, ME

Hi folks!

I've been nursing along a smallish plant sold to me years back as "white catmint", also marked simply as "calamintha nepeta". It's lovely but quite small compared to the blue catmints I've got (Walker's Low, 6 Hills Giant, Andre Chaudon, etc). So I went to find some more to fill the spot.

Local nursery had two sorts that I snapped up: "Calamintha nepeta subs. nepeta" and "Calamintha nepeta 'White Cloud'". The former more aromatic with lavender flowers, the latter less so with what look like the beginnings of white flowers. They also had 'nepeta grandiosa', big-flowering catmint, which I did not buy.

Neither resembles the habit of the white-flowering plant I already have, which is curious, but no matter. I've seen "calamintha nepeta grandulosa' advertised -- perhaps that's what I've already got? How do I tell the difference? Google searches offer conflicting insights.

My question: the stated growth habits of these calaminthas vary considerably from write-up to write-up, anywhere from 15" to 3' (!) for the same plant. What are folks' experiences with the calamint varieties? Are some much larger or do they flower for a longer time period? Trying to suss out where to plant them in my beds.Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.