want book with pix of gardens around the world

Upper Peninsula Dfb , MI(Zone 5a)

Hi - I signed up here specifically to ask this question.

I'd like to find a book/s with pictures of what people's home vegetable gardens are like in different countries all over the world. Better yet if it describes them.

I want to see real, regular, typical gardens - not palaces or historical sites, not flower gardens, and especially no 'rich people's gardens' consumer-push drivel from the megapublishers that clogs the shelves everywhere. I am not a zliiionaire so don't care what gardens look like behind a mansion or what some internet celebrity does (unless they're normal and frugal and have a real job and no assistants).

I want to see what people are growing to eat at home (and better yet if I can learn some new vegetables). How do they arrange things? Are there rows or clumps? Decorations? What tools do they use? How much time to they spend? Do they have sheds or carts or a seat? A Cat?

Maybe something like 'Material World: A Global Family Portrait' (1995), but for gardens.

Doesn't have to be all colour pictures, and the more text the better, and probably the older the better. The ultimate would include an annotated bibliography of regional sources!

I want to know how gardens look behind people's houses in Finland or Laos or Belize or Germany and all the other places too. I am not looking for yet another 'how to' or 'best design' or 'the newest fad' or 'what the rich people have' book.

Surely there must be such a book in some language (doesn't have to be English), any ideas?

'Better than nothing' ideas also welcome (e.g., home gardens of Africa, dacha gardens of the DDR, whatever, so long as I can see what regular gardens are like in different places.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2022 7:09 AM

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!