Fertilizing Young Fruit Trees

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Can anyone tell me if I should be fertilizing my young fruit trees? I have planted some several years in a row and some survive and some don't. They always seem to do well the first year, but over winter, they either die at the top and all that is left is the root stock or they die completely. It has been raining off and on lately, so we haven't had to water. I usually lose at least one a year. This year, the tops of a pear and a peach tree died off. I had the spiral plastic protector on over the winter.

I don't want to lose any more, so I thought maybe I should fertilize to get them more established the first year.
Thank you

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 7a)

Plants, just like people, cannot grow if they do not eat.
If you want them to be healthy you will feed them.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

So would you suggest manure, compost or something else?

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 7a)

It is not clear what is causing winter death in the case of your Fruit Trees.

Try consulting with a local extension service regarding the matter.
While feeding plants is mandatory for them to be at their best, oftentimes feeding a sick plant is a way to make it less healthy.

It is important to learn why things are dying and the timing of it does not indicate that the trees are dying of lack of food.

What is more interesting is that some of the trees are not dying.
There is a clue in this, but without being at the site and looking at the plants it is difficult to say. More information is needed to make an accurate diagnosis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.