Help! Rosa Rugosas Cuttings with Roots Planted but Look Like They Won\'t Make it!

Sebago, ME

Help! Transplanted from a very healthy Rosa Rugosa plant 7 cuttings, each with a section of root. Used a mix of soil and compost, rooting hormone and watering.
They are all limp, bent over, and look as though they won't make it.
What can be done to help them survive?

Castro Valley, CA

If they were mine I would scoop them out, put in plain soil, put in small pots so not too much excess soil, water them then put them in a clear plastic bag that I had put some water in, then shook out so just some water beading was left, put pot in bag and closed it up to re hydrate the cuttings.

Then immediately put in complete shade for if left in sun, they would steam cook. I would wait till they stood back up and after a few days I would open the bag. Slowly over several days I would pull the bag down slowly to let them get use to the lower humidity. I would grow them in the pots till they had a better root system. Then slowly move them back into the sun over some days, giving them only morning sun for awhile to slowly build up their tolerance to complete sun.

Make sure if you use compost, it is well composted so will not burn the new feeder roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.