Encore Azaleas

Port Richey, United States

I planted 10 Encore Azaleas a month or so ago. They are not doing well. One morning, I watered them, then, that night, it rained. The next day, one of the plants had a big brown, dry-looking patch. I cut that part out. The next day, more of it had turned brown. I assume it was overwatered. I used a moisture meter which showed it was wet, so I haven't been watering. Since then, more of the plants have been getting the same problem. Again, I have not been watering because the moisture meter shows dry the first couple of inches and wet further down. It's been a couple of weeks since I've watered and we've had very little rain, yet my moisture meter says it's wet. Could it be giving me a false reading?(it broke today, so I'm back to using my finger to test) It makes no sense that the soil could still be wet. This is Florida and the soil is sandy. And, they're in full sun. I know the soil is alkaline, so I've added soil acidifier, which isn't likely to help if I'm not able to water it in. When I planted them, I filled in around the plants with a mix of top soil, Black Kow and sandy soil from the hole. I have some left over Miracle Gro potting soil and am thinking about replacing the soil around one of the plants with that. I don't know if it will help or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Lsch7 Thumbnail by Lsch7 Thumbnail by Lsch7
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Full sun in central Florida for azaleas is probably not a good idea. I'm in the Atlanta area and have 3 Encore azaleas in dappled shade and they are doing okay.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Home soil hygrometers are generally unreliable. And then you answered your own questions. As a native Floridian I can't imagine azaleas growing well. Maybe Tallahassee? Hcmcdole mentioned sun. Then there's heat. And you are apparently already aware of the sand and alkaline soil. You are coastal. There's no way to amend that borderline neutral to alkaline soil other than very temporarily. Additives such as loam, compost and fertilizer quickly sift down and out. You might do better potting up in quality garden soil and moving them to a shaded area, then top dressing and feeding an azalea/camelia slow release once a year in Spring.

Somerville, MA

Everything about this site is wrong for azaleas. Too sunny, too hot, too alkaline, too sandy, everything azaleas hate. Plant something else.

Dalton, GA

Poor azaleas. I'm in north GA and have some Encore Azaleas that are probably 15 yrs old. They've been in dappled shade until a few weeks ago when my neighbor cut down 2 big oak trees. I'm trying to figure out how to save them from full sun until I can plant something to shade them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.