caliper size

New Hyde Park, NY

My town requires that trees planted near the curb have a caliper of at least 1 1/2". It's hard to find that caliper in a tree that's not expensive. And I need two.

I have found a nursery that sells 6-7 ft. autumn blaze maples which they say have a caliper between 1 and 1 1/2". Well, that's not quite good enough. They also sell Japanese zelkova with the same height. Will the zelkova have a little bit more of a caliper than the autumn blaze maple? (I sent an email to them with this question but have not yet received a response). The town limits me to certain tree choices, and both of these trees are acceptable.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If you have not already gotten an answer to this question...

'Autumn Blaze' maple is a pretty vigorous plant, as is Japanese Zelkova, so I would suspect that a similar height plant may have similar caliper. 'Autumn Blaze' will likely be taller sooner, regardless of caliper.

If you get to plant the tree, and are responsible for maintenance, care, and replacement, I wonder why you are tasked with starting with a minimum size. A 0.75-1" caliper tree will be larger than 1.5" caliper after the first growing season, given a normal soil and moisture regime.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.