Chinese evergreen

Wallingford, CT

Hi fellow houseplant friends,
I’m rather new to owning chinese evergreens. I bought this one a few months ago. At first I was overwatering but fixed my mistake after noticing droopy yellow leaves. Now it seems happier, but I noticed my new leaves have less variegation. Does this mean it wants more light? I have it in a bright east facing window.

Thumbnail by Aubreym
Castro Valley, CA

Oh, I love these! I have had a few over the years. Never had a problem like this. My first thought was lack of light but be careful, not too much. Mine were kept on my dining room table under sky lights so lots of very bright indirect light.

My next thought was is it reverting back to green? Some variegated plants do that. They say you need to cut out the reverted part or it will take over the plant as all green parts usually grow faster than the colorful ones. However I have no idea if that works with Aglaonema. I do not even know if this particular cultivar remains stable. I kind of doubt it is reverting because this particular cultivar I have seen a few times so I think it is a popular one.

Usually the popular ones of any plants are color stable and do not revert. Then again phormiums are supposedly stable but I watched as my collection 1 by reverted to an ugly taupe color.

Hopefully someone will wander by who knows more.

I would start by increasing the light a bit. Go slow, you do not want to burn the leaves. Never any direct hot sun in the afternoon. Then depending on your results go from there.

Have you seen the new cultivars out of Thailand? They will stop you in your tracks.

I almost forgot. I googled it for you since I am not sure. I hope this article helps. It is about a different colored 1 but I am sure it applies to your color too.
https://balconygardenweb.com/aglaonema-care-tips-to-keep-it-red-and-shiny/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images