Keeping outdoor plants during home renovation

Weston, FL(Zone 7b)

My daughter will be doing major renovations on her home in coming year…they have many outdoor “old” plants (azaleas, hydrangeas, camelias, etc.) that they want to protect and keep safe. What is the best way to handle that? A landscaper to prune/pot/store them or…? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Fur14 Thumbnail by Fur14 Thumbnail by Fur14
Somerville, MA

It's probably too late for this answer, but installing stout temporary fencing around each plant is the only way to protect them. And I mean stout and tall, so the workers won't just step over them. Even then, don't get your hopes up. I used to own a contracting company, and almost nothing will prevent workers from trashing plants. They can't help it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't disagree with kolomikta about the damage that contractors will do - if there is no penalty. Similar to rental car companies, you can document your plants' existing conditions (photos and value, provided by a landscape contractor that you would pay to replace those plants). You can then inform via contract, and expect your renovation contractor to pay you for any damages their company causes. Then, it is their choice on instructing their staff's behavior: don't damage the plants, or pay for all the damages.

To believe that "there is nothing that can be done" is not rational. Would someone believe the same thing applies to their Mercedes parked in the driveway? "Oops, I ran the backhoe into it. Sorry! There's just nothing I can do about it." Of course not.

Until people recognize that plants have value, and that the value can be rationally and objectively quantified (just like inorganic elements like sidewalks, windows, roofs, cars), irresponsible people of all kinds will continue to damage and kill plants which should still have long productive lives ahead. Expect and demand better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.