Freeze Damage to Jane Magnolia Bloosoms

Rockville, MD

The recent MidAtlantic freeze killed the buds which had formed on my Jane Magnolia. If I deadhead them, will I get a second bloom? Should I do anything? Thanks

Thumbnail by MartieMJ
Castro Valley, CA

I am no expert on these but my take is no, you won't get it to replace the damaged buds but any buds that were going to erupt will still do so. It should shed its old blooms on its own.

Your kind of magnolia should bloom again on its own in the summer as it is a reblooming kind.

If the growth tips of the branches did not get frost burn, it should be fine with just your regular care. It looks like a happy tree for it put out a lot of blooms so you must be doing lots right.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Here we do not suffer frost on magnolia blooms.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

ZilyZily has got it about right. 'Jane' and many other early season Magnolia species and selections often suffer this fate with variable spring weather conditions. About one in five springs here in the Ohio River valley is the expectation for a full bloom cycle without a freeze or frost. Otherwise, we get what you see: the promise of exhilaration, and suddenly a bunch of dishrag limp brownish mush.

While these plants will normally drop what was killed, sometimes the dead flower tissues persist. I would prune/pluck off any you can reach by the time the plant leafs out entirely, just so there isn't anything attached that might be home to some fungus or another. Since you will be paying close attention to it, you might also consider doing some pruning for form, and remove unnecessary/redundant internal branching, especially those stems that are rubbing or that will as they increase in diameter. There is a lot of information online about pruning shrubs or small ornamental trees like this, and/or you could check in with your local county cooperative extension service which should have several publications on just this subject.

'Jane' is a tough old bird, and not much bothers it under normal conditions. It is NOT a rebloomer in the classic sense. It can blast some flower buds in the fall that were produced through the summer for next spring, especially after a decent drought. This can be fun to see, is not unusual nor an affliction, and is usually only a smattering and there should still be plenty of buds to make a great show next year.

Except for those pesky frost/freezes...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.