What is wrong with my Hosta

Keosauqua, IA

This hosta has been in this location for years. In the spring it grows lush and healthy but late summer it changes to what you see in the picture. This is zone 5b and the plant is in morning sun near my house foundation. However I also have hostas in other locations of the yard mostly shade areas with the same condition to a lesser degree. I do have rabbits and chipmunks and squirrels.. and deer, oh and a groundhog.

Thumbnail by Keyo Thumbnail by Keyo
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It appears to be "scorch". Darker green hosta varieties really do need shade. Even morning sun can be too much unless it is filtered. They also need consistently moist soil. Lack of moisture, sun or heat can trigger scorch. The ones against the foundation are probably more affected because it is warmer.

As for the wildlife, I have the same but my hostas are fine. I have a new dog that will hopefully remove the groundhog in residence. Praying for an early spring. The sooner that whistle pig comes out the better.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Keosauqua, IA

Ahh, make sense - I'll remedy exposure and see if it changes. Many thanks for fast response.

Severna Park, MD

Prior response seems most likely, particularly if a nearby tree has been removed so shade reduced. Augmenting moisture when hot and dry would improve results. However, if that doesn't work, and/or unlikely due no prior issue, then fungus is a possibility. No fungicide works well on established disease, but can be an effective deterrent. Perhaps spray on a section but not on all so have a control group. Applications should begin early after emergence, then follow label.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.