Please advise

Sunnyvale, CA

I have had a very healthy orange tree growing in the backyard (San Mateo, CA) for over 20 years. This past year, it's suddenly started dying even though I watered it once a week during our drought year. I'd say at least a third of it is dead and the rest looks very sickly. At first, I blamed it on my neighbor's Black Walnut tree growing just a few feet away. The latter was a "volunteer" which had grown at least as tall as my orange tree. A month ago, my neighbor cut down the Black Walnut after I told her that the roots were poisonous. (She likes all the oranges I give her, but not walnuts.) I'm sure the roots of the walnut tree are still active, but that may not be the only reason my orange tree is dying. I heard on the TV news that much of Florida's citrus crop is dying due to some insect invasion which is one reason the prices of orange juice and oranges has skyrocketed. Perhaps that could be the reason my orange tree is dying? They said there is no cure for "Citrus greening" caused by this insect. What few oranges I had this winter were very small and only on the right side of the tree which is still hanging on for dear life. (That side was the furthest from the walnut tree.) If anyone knows of a treatment for this condition, please advise. Thanks! I do see some blossoms about to open on the right side of the tree, so it's not dead yet.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2022 3:48 PM

This message was edited Jan 25, 2022 3:49 PM

This message was edited Jan 25, 2022 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by KimmyMZ Thumbnail by KimmyMZ Thumbnail by KimmyMZ Thumbnail by KimmyMZ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.