Help with Clusia Rosea

Toronto, Canada

Hi, and thank you so much for taking the time to help!

I bought this guy a couple weeks ago from Ikea, and he was already not looking too great. Unfortunately, I didn't do the research beforehand and didn't know what colour the leaves were supposed to be (bright green). I thought perhaps the yellowish colour was natural, and once I discovered that wasn't the case, I have been desperately trying to recover its health. It is currently beside a north facing window where the lighting is fairly bright during the day, but its obviously not as bright as a south/east/west window. I also water him about once a week, and if the soil seems still damp I wait an extra couple days to a week before watering again. So far, it has not improved in the slightest. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Thumbnail by Dana_Bantley Thumbnail by Dana_Bantley Thumbnail by Dana_Bantley Thumbnail by Dana_Bantley
Castro Valley, CA

That is such a cool plant. I have only seen it once, the variegated form, at the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco years ago.

I would never buy a plant that looks sick. Bringing an ill plant home just invites disaster to all your other house plants. I once bought a plant with mealy bug home, convinced I could treat it. Well in a few weeks, it had spread to so many of my other plants, I was in panic mode. Worse, I had a large collection of very expensive variegated clivia which mealy bugs love. They burrow deep within the base of the leaves where you cannot get at them. Took me months to clean up that disastrous choice. But lesson learned forever.

That being said, I would bag your plant in plastic, dirt and all and close it then discard it ASAP. If you must keep the pot, bleach it.

I have no idea what is wrong with your plant. Though it cannot be good. I wonder if you might have 2 things going wrong. A few of your shots sure looked like mite damage. Maybe thrip damage where all the green chlorophyll has been sucked out. Though I admit I have never seen mite or thrip damage turn a leaf bronze.

The pattern of discoloration with the central vein staying green, reminded me of the leaf pattern of nutritional deficiency (like iron and manganese deficiency) where the area around the veins stays green but the rest becomes pale. Again, the bronze color throws me.

Whatever is wrong with it, it cannot be good.

Castro Valley, CA

I just googled what causes leaves to turn bronze? Who knew there is such a thing as leaf bronzing? LOL I have no idea if this is what your plant has, but an interesting read.
https://www.thedailygarden.us/garden-word-of-the-day/bronzing

Toronto, Canada

Quote from ZilyZily :
I just googled what causes leaves to turn bronze? Who knew there is such a thing as leaf bronzing? LOL I have no idea if this is what your plant has, but an interesting read.
https://www.thedailygarden.us/garden-word-of-the-day/bronzing

Thank you ZilyZily for your reply!! I guess there isn't much hope for this guy eh? You're right, I don't want this plant to potentially infect the others.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.