Garden Mulch

LaGrande, OR, United States

I知 looking for some advice on garden mulch. What痴 the best way to go about mulching a new garden space? Is soil testing a good place to start? I have access to horse/cow manure (as much as I could want) and caramelized (rotten/moldy) hay. My mom has good luck with those in her garden but she is an expert, and I知 a beginner. Should I be worried about diseases if I choose this method?

Severna Park, MD

You didn't state whether it is veg or ornamental garden, which would impact how you proceed. Regardless, if your mother is successful then follow her lead, but I can't resist providing a few cautionary notes. Testing soil pH and nutrients is important if want a serious garden. Manure should be composted first or will burn plants. Cow manure is the gold standard since their digestive process destroys seed viability, unlike horse manure which carries viable weed seeds. There is a big difference between hay and straw. Hay is tall grass containing seed heads which would bring weeds so it should only be used as animal feed. On the other hand, straw is a tough stem without seeds that is used for bedding. It can be used as a mulch, but is not attractive nor easy to apply around small plants if that is a consideration.

For both edibles and ornamentals, I prefer shredded leaves, preferably oak. Wood chips and bark can be used in ornamental gardens, but not where would be planting seed each yr. Never use stones since can become too hot, or plastic. Landscape fabric is usually regretted within a few yrs by those who try. Many gardeners do not mulch since it prevents tilling, makes weeding difficult, and slows down adding future seeds and plants. More is not better: 2" is sufficient and 3" max. Good luck.

Severna Park, MD

P.S. It occurred to me that being on the coast, your mother might be using salt marsh hay as a mulch, which is a very good product since it doesn't have seeds. Remember the difference.

Yesterday I should have included the suggestion that particularly if growing vegetables, but even if not, you will find a wealth of info by professionals at your university extension service. Use these chilly days to gain the knowledge that will reduce mistakes and maximize success.

Toronto , Canada

Quote from HungryHotshot :
I知 looking for some advice on garden mulch. What痴 the best way to go about mulching a new garden space? Is soil testing a good place to start? I have access to horse/cow manure (as much as I could want) and caramelized (rotten/moldy) hay. My mom has good luck with those in her garden but she is an expert, and I知 a beginner. Should I be worried about diseases if I choose this method?

Toronto , Canada

Quote from JamieD41 :
Quote from HungryHotshot :

Mulch is a garden's best friend. It is a layer of material that protects the soil from sunlight, helps retain moisture, prevents weed growth, and helps protect the plants growing in the soil. Some mulch is excellent for keeping the weeds away. Some mulch provides nutrients to the soil. Some mulch is to keep the moisture in the soil. Most mulches are good for one of these things. When it comes to Soil testing, it is essential to know the soil's nutrient level before mulching. It helps you decide what kind of mulch to use, what nutrients your plants need and how much they need. There are a few choices in the market, like inorganic and organic mulch. It would be best to choose a bulk mulch according to the soil you are putting it on. Cow manure is safer than horse manure because it is not as toxic and is processed. But it is not a good idea to apply manure that has been sitting around for a year because it causes weeds to grow and increases the chances of disease.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2022 10:34 AM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2022 10:35 AM

This message was edited Oct 11, 2022 10:07 PM

Somerville, MA

All of the above advice is very good, but let me suggest a different approach. After spending many dollars and countless boring hours on mulch for twenty years, I decided instead not to rake leaves. In the fall, I leave them where they lie in the garden beds. I do remove some in the spring, but not much, and I make sure they aren't compacted into a soggy mass. But that's it. It's worked out fine, although you have to have some tolerance for the "natural look.".

Also, I must say that I've never tested my soil, and my Massachusetts garden grows like crazy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.