15 years of DG Trees, Shrubs and Conifers...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It was January 1, 2006 when I joined the crowd at DG. It - and I - have undergone a lot of changes since then.

I have always enjoyed the opportunity to share information, and learn from those contributors with different experiences. There have been more than a few prickly exchanges over time, but by and large there has been productive discussion and learning all around.

Though the e-handles and faces have changed, this is still a fun (albeit less active) site to visit and offer information. Here's to a happy New Year of 2022, and to successful gardening endeavors.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

And I have gotten more active on DG. Thank you for the New Year Wishes. I wish you all a happy New Year 2023!

Hi Rosemary:

Look forward to hearing more about your American Holly quest! Hope you have room for more fun plants - maybe even a few viburnums...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

yes, voburnums are in the plans! I'm searching for Dart's Duke, which I currently have, but it is a slow grower. I'm searching for Ilex opaca 'Sir Landon' for my male holly. I've just joined the Holly Society, so they may have some thoughts for me.

The HSA will treat you right. You should have no trouble finding just about anything Ilex-wise, with a little persistence.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

My update about gardening in Brewster, MA.: I have potted ilex opaca Satryr Hill, Marthas Vinyard, Arlene Leach, and Mary Holman. I will be searching for a male in case I don't already have one. I also potted Viburnum R. 'Darts Duke,' V. Prunifolium 'Summer Magic and a bountiful 'Forest Rouge." They, and a selection of currents, huckleberries and such will have to stay in a pot for a while. I I have to delay finding a few mates for a while. Seems the surveyer reveals a 12 feet incursion of fence from a neighbor on one side, which explains why I thought the property looked too small, so that has to be straightened out. On every weekend I can, I go down to remove twenty years of invasive vines that have climbed over 30 feet high. The good news is I've uncovered a holly hedge on the other side of our property, and two large, sculpted hollies as well. The majority of them were literally buried in vines but still healthy. The previous owner clearly cared, but she was disabled for the past 20 years,

Landscape archaeology...there is always more than first glance reveals - especially seasonally.

Brings to mind a great word: palimpsest

Images for inspiration...

** Ilex opaca 'Jersey Knight'

** Viburnum x rhytidophylloides Dart's Duke™

** Viburnum prunifolium 'Summer Magic'

** Viburnum prunifolium Forest Rouge™

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Dalton, GA

Viburnum Valley, I am back on DG after a long absence, but I remember you! I think we had quite a few shrub and soil conversations. I had a different user name then.

I have 4 viburnums but can't remember their names. Don't remember much these days.

While I've got you, dare I ask if you have ever used ClayMend?

You are welcome to send me a Dmail, if you'd rather not bring it all up here.

You can dare ask me anything! However, I don't even know what ClayMend is - much less ever have used it. I can, however, look it up.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1678685/claymend-too-good-to-be-true

All in all: I'd use compost and mulch regularly, and watch it grow...

You can always post pictures of your viburnums here, and I'll do my best to ID them for you.

Welcome back!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.