Euonymous japonica

Raleigh, NC

We've had this shrub in our garden for years, although it was transplanted to this location last winter. It has always been healthy until a couple months ago, when I noticed it was growing pale. Starting on one branch it slowly is advancing to the whole plant. Any ideas? Nutrition? Are grubs or some other creatures eating away its roots?

Thumbnail by Yellowbricks Thumbnail by Yellowbricks
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that is what Euonymus Crown Gall ends up looking like. The pathogen attacks the plant at the point where the stems emerge from the base of the plant (crown).

Raleigh, NC

ViburnumValley Thank you. I'll read about what to do about it but any suggestions? Is the plant a goner?

Raleigh, NC

ViburnumValley Thank you. I'll read about what to do about it but any suggestions? Is the plant a goner?

Raleigh, NC

I'm not sure it's Euonymus Crown Gall. I see not galls anywhere. However there is crazy root growth around the soil line, and Dr. Google tells us that a symptom of this disease is that the "bacterium stimulates the rapid growth of plant cells that results in the galls." So perhaps overzealous root growth is the first symptom(?) and then the galls, but so far I don't see a description like that. In any case it appears the treatment is heating up the soil, which is easily done in the south where I live but only in the warm months. I guess I need to consider digging it up. The first picture is a full shot showing trunk branches and root growth; the second is a close-up of some of the root growth.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2021 12:46 PM

Thumbnail by Yellowbricks Thumbnail by Yellowbricks
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

It might be just because of the drought, but also look under the leaves or on the stems for gall mites or other insects. It also might be mildew. You need to trim back the dry stems and then spray the whole plant with insecticide or mildew pesticide.

Raleigh, NC

adinamiti Thank you. Drought is not the problem. At this point, I'm afraid I'll have to dig the whole shrub out and treat the soil for mites. The entire plant is turning white and there is mossy hair all around the bottom of the trunk. You can see it a little in the above picture I posted but it's consumed the bottom of the shrub at the soil line on all emerging trunk branches. I just wanted to know if anyone can identify the problem so I an eradicate it when I plant a new shrub.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Then it might be because of too much water. You'll see the roots when you dig it out. Sorry for that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.