Need help for my plant

Hi all, I have a question about my cycas. It is a young one that grew two leaves. My father-in-law planted this for me from a 21 year old cycas that he has. The old leaves on this new pot died and these two beautiful ones grew. It is growing too tall (so far 60 cm) and the tiny leaves do not open up as you see in the picture. It's been one and a half month now that they only grow taller! I have done all the things recommended for keeping them in an apartment. Could you help me please? Is something wrong with the plant or the way it's being cared for?
I'd be grateful if you can help. Mona

Thumbnail by mona2 Thumbnail by mona2 Thumbnail by mona2
Castro Valley, CA

I have never grown this plant before so take what I say with a grain of salt.
First your young fronds look great to me. I see no brown spots or yellowing. These are slow growing plants and you are in autumn (I am assuming) when most plants are getting the message to hibernate a bit. In spring the message will be to grow grow grow.

That being said, I did enlarge your photo to try to see your soil. From here it looked wet. But more worrying I saw white stuff on the end of the dead fronds. You want to protect your crown for it rots easily. I would gently pull off the dead stuff at the base so the air can get to your crown. You never directly water your crown.

Is your soil very free draining? This particular plant does not want to be kept wet. You need to let it dry out between watering. And remember when plants start to rest over winter, they do not drink a much water so the soil stays wet longer. Makes it rot prone.

It needs some good light as well. You might find it will be really slow by its nature but if the fronds remain green, and the base firm, I think you are OK.

Remember most plants that are murdered are murdered out of love. Too much care can be as bad as too little care. Ask me how many plants I have killed. Way too many.

You might want to repost this on the Beginner Gardening Discussion Forum
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_gardentalk/all/
or
the Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener Discussion Forum
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/questions/all/
where there is more traffic. You might get lucky and have a more knowledgeable person stop by.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2021 3:44 PM

Dear ZilyZily, I don't know how to thank you. I will go through your comment several times and will see if I'm doing everything as you suggested. Wish you lots and lots of greens;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.