Help me ID this wild melon plant in Southeast Texas please

Merkel, TX

Hi Everyone. I am new to the group. I have been trying to ID this plant I found near Alice, Texas since August, and I am really having a hard time finding any reliable information about it. My niece has a small piece of land out in the country and I found this growing wild on the back part of her property. At first glance, I thought it might be Mexican Sour Gurkin, but I have since ruled that out. I believe it to be some sort of melon, but I really can't find any about it. I recently showed the picture to a man from India and he said they have something identical to it in India, but I can remember what he called it.

I would love it if it were a native plant that is edible, but I want 100% positive ID on it before even considering that. Right now I have absolutely nothing to go on. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by Johnhoward Thumbnail by Johnhoward Thumbnail by Johnhoward Thumbnail by Johnhoward Thumbnail by Johnhoward
Castro Valley, CA

Looks a lot like the various Cucumis callosus or maybe Cucumis melo var. agrestis or some other variety of Cucumis melo.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/92078/#b

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

My grandmother used to grow these as Plum Granny and put them in bowls around her house for their aroma. ZilyZily has the botanical name Cucumis melo but I always liked the common name from my grandmother and makes looking it up easy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.