Water coming to the top of a cactus plant

Somers, CT

I have been growing cactus for a long time in a conservatory in my home, and the strangest thing has just started happening and I have no idea what’s causing it.
It’s Called a blueMyrtle cactus ! It’s in a large terra-cotta pot and I’ve had it probably 30 years and I am getting new growth on it, but I look at it one day and all the soil in the pot is very wet and even in the dish and the bottom is full of water. I have not watered it in quite a while and don’t know where The water is coming from. I know we have had a lot of rainy days and the humidity level in my conservatory is very high, but it does not seem to involve any of my other cacti.

Can anyone tell me what is happening? HELP,!

Thumbnail by Redspeedster Thumbnail by Redspeedster
Castro Valley, CA

I am sorry to say your cactus looks beyond help.

I can only come up with is
1. You have a big dog using the pot as a bathroom.
2. You have a constant leak in your roof and it is directly above the pot.
3. Your cactus is liquefying as you watch.

Has is always looked so rotting? Does it smell? Is it soft? Is it squishy at the base?

Beware, the whole thing could topple over.

Somehow the cactus started rotting and probably fungus or bacteria got in and it is rotting from the inside out. Some cactus leak latex which is white so I wonder if you are leaking that plus rot juices.

If you still have a fairly firm piece in new growth, I would clip them off and try to restart your plant so you can have it another 45 years.

You could try to repot it in sand if it is not falling apart. But I doubt you have any viable roots much less a viable base. When you poke it do you leave a mushy hole?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images