mystery shrub

Putnam Valley, NY

Hi - iNaturalist app couldn't help- maybe one of you can? Zone 6a NY .. what is this shrub?
Watching it for a year - seems to be evergreen, and it hasn't flowered. Thanks!

Thumbnail by overeducated
Sagamore Beach, MA

If it's wispy and light and stem doesn't break easily, it might be a weed.
But if it's a crisp sturdy glossy green it reminds me of Podacarpus which is used a lot by florists in filling arrangements. I have 2 baby plants of this and live in NC. It will grow under best conditions to tree height. Not sure if Podacarpus would thrive through winters in NY.

Castro Valley, CA

I vote for a Podocarpus because of the telltale lighter green new growth. Perhaps Podocarpus macrophyllus?

Have you seen the Podocarpus with pink new growth
(Podocarpus macrophyllus Mood Ring) and the one that is striped variegated (Podocarpus macrophyllus 'Roman Candle') and 1 spotted one (Podocarpus macrophyllus 'Okina')? Very cool.

Photo from the Internet.
Podocarpus macrophyllus Mood Ring

Thumbnail by ZilyZily
Putnam Valley, NY

Wow you folks are good - found images for podocarpus online. I think that's it - Zily Zily - I love the pink new growth on yours, but mine hasn't done that. Or anything for that matter. I think prev owners planted it as a lone interesting foliage specimen against the white fence. Dina31 I'm surprised it overwintered also, since internet says zone 7 for hardiness. It's sheltered by hemlock trees - maybe that's why. thanks much all!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi overeducated - and all:

I suspect that you have the fastigiate form of Cephalotaxus harringtonia - which is significantly hardier than any of the Podocarpus sp. and would have that character when planted in the shade and competition of larger old trees like the hemlocks mentioned.

Take a look: https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/127824

An online search for additional images will be useful, as this database has only a few.

Greenville, SC(Zone 8a)

I agree with ViburnumValley. It is the fastigiate form of Cephalotaxus harringtonia. It's a slow grower that does not bloom.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the props, Torched. Seems like the original poster went away.

I don't know if many folks look at where the plant is growing before they offer ideas. It really should be one of the first lines of demarcation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.