Almost afraid to ask about this beetle ..

Iowa City, IA

Hello folks new here.

My AC died last week here in Iowa, so I moved downstairs and might have a problem..

I captured this beetle after hearing some munching sounds and put it in a coffee can.. I'm guessing its a wood eating beetle that's been eating my house. Ive killed one other that was smaller, but that's all Ive seen and I haven't heard any more munching..

Anyone know what species it is?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by spazatak
Minot, ND

This is not a wood-boring beetle, it is a beneficial predator on other insects. It is a ground beetle (family Carabidae) in the genus Scarites.

Iowa City, IA

Quote from Flapdoodle :
This is not a wood-boring beetle, it is a beneficial predator on other insects. It is a ground beetle (family Carabidae) in the genus Scarites.

Thanks Flapdoodle..
Good to know its only a a ground beetle, but I found a few holes bored through drywall about the size of that ground beetle. Can I post a picture of the holes, or are you certain that ground beetle couldn't do that?

Minot, ND

Quote from Flapdoodle :
This is not a wood-boring beetle, it is a beneficial predator on other insects. It is a ground beetle (family Carabidae) in the genus Scarites.[/quote]

[quote="Flapdoodle"] Thanks Flapdoodle.. Good to know its only a a ground beetle, but I found a few holes bored through drywall about the size of that ground beetle. Can I post a picture of the holes, or are you certain that ground beetle couldn't do that?

I'm not going to say that it's impossible, as few things in nature are absolutely impossible, but it would be extremely unlikely to say the least. The configuration of the mandibles of these beetles simply is not suitable for such action and chewing holes in anything is not typical behavior for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.