what\'s wrong with my crape myrtles?

Jackson, MS

I noticed back in late Spring of this year that there were dead leaves accumulating at the base of the branches/top of the trunk of my 24 year old crape myrtles. I should have removed them because I also noticed that the area of the accumulated leaves was getting progressively darker.

Now, top of the trunk, the lower part of the branches and the leaves in that area are very dark and there are white spots on the bark. Is this due to a lack of sunlight in that area? If so, would removing leaves from that area help? What else should I do to treat these trees?

Also, the bark is peeling on the entire trunk of each tree. I think that is normal and not related to the issue above...I just don't remember now...getting older.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thumbnail by captKirkS Thumbnail by captKirkS Thumbnail by captKirkS Thumbnail by captKirkS
Castro Valley, CA

I would always remove leaves in the joints of a tree. They are havens for insects plus when they get wet harbor all sorts of fungus. Such wetness also can caused breaks in the bark and then all sorts of diseases and insects have a way in. Did this lead to your current problem, probably.

Your tree will shed its bark every year so that is normal.

But I think you have a much worse problem. Crape Myrtle Bark Scale

Hope these articles help.
https://www.mfc.ms.gov/forest-health/forest-pests/crape-myrtle-bark-scale/

https://lgpress.clemson.edu/publication/managing-crapemyrtle-bark-scale-infestations-in-urban-landscapes-and-nurseries/

Jackson, MS

Quote from ZilyZily :
I would always remove leaves in the joints of a tree. They are havens for insects plus when they get wet harbor all sorts of fungus. Such wetness also can caused breaks in the bark and then all sorts of diseases and insects have a way in. Did this lead to your current problem, probably.

But I think you have a much worse problem. Crape Myrtle Bark Scale

Thanks! This was a great help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.