Insect egg ID on Milkweed

Wichita, KS

Hello,

The eggs on the lower half of the picture are on stalks so lacewing right? What about the single dark spot on the underside of the upper center leaf? This is on Swamp Milkweed. I have seen Monarch caterpillars and adults in this garden, as well as other types of butterflies. I had yellow aphids too but have managed to mostly control them. Sorry for the blur in the image. Phone struggles to focus on things this small/close.

Thumbnail by mysticbutterfly
Minot, ND

The picture is to blurry for me to tell if they are even eggs. if they were chrysopid eggs, they should be white. The dark spot on the upper leaf could be a mummified (parasitized) aphid.

Wichita, KS

Thanks for taking a look. Lots of other spots on undersides of leaves like the brown one. Since we did have aphids, mummified aphid makes sense. Sorry again for the photo quality.

Wichita, KS

This is on the same plant. I'm feeling more positive about the id since I've seen an egg laying female in the area. Monarch egg right?

Thumbnail by mysticbutterfly
Wichita, KS

Quote from ganthercage :
Quote from mysticbutterfly :
Hello,

The eggs on the lower half of the picture are on stalks so lacewing right? What about the single dark spot on the underside of the upper center leaf? This is on Swamp Milkweed. I have seen Monarch caterpillars and adults in this garden, as well as other types of butterflies. I had yellow aphids too but have managed to mostly control them. Sorry for the blur in the image. Phone struggles to focus on things this small/close.

First thing, is it getting enough water? Swamp milkweed normally grows in... well... swamps and bogs and fens etc. So, especially when it is just getting established it needs more water. Secondly, examine the stem and the undersides of the leaves for pests. Aphids absolutely LOVE milkweed and will suck the life out of it.

Yes I think it probably is getting enough water but this is its first year (and my first time growing Swamp Milkweed). It's planted in a low spot in clay soil and gets about 5-6 hours of direct light and more dappled light after that. It stays pretty wet and I've never seen it wilted. We did have a large number of yellow aphids on this plant in July but the numbers are small now. Now if it would just bloom! I've read Swamp Milkweed won't always bloom the first year. Thanks for your comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.