problems with iris plants

first, i live n michigan, and we arre having lots of ran this year. i bought lots of iris plants, they flower 1 time and then leaves start to fall off and the bulb gets spongy like podding, and I have to dig up and get rid of, the roots are great, but the bulb gone, isit just the weather or what am I doing wrong?, thamnks for any info, jerry, ok, I read where you can't answer my question, so where do I go, thats what I joined this forum for

Castro Valley, CA

I am not sure who Jerry is. Here the other members try to help other members. It is not a job, all volunteers.

What kind of iris are you growing? Bearded with rhizomes?

Sounds to me your soil might be too heavy, not draining fast enough. So the soil around it stays too wet and rots the rhizome. Soil needs to dry out between rains. If too much, constant rain and soil that holds too much moisture, you get rot.

Are they planted in sun? They need sun.

I would replant the healthy ones out in the sun, not too close together, in prepared soil with additives that make it quick draining. Raised beds can add to the quick draining.

I googled an article for you that might help you.
https://migardener.com/5-simple-ingredients-to-fix-poor-draining-soil/

And here is 1 that discusses the bacteria that causes rot in iris.
http://www.dvis-ais.org/iris-rot_remedies.html

Hope this helps you.

Somerville, MA

The rhizomes are rotting, most likely because of (a) the rain, and (b) you planted them too deeply. Iris rhizomes like it dry. Dig yours up and discard them. Plant new iris very shallowly. The very top of the rhizome should actually be exposed to the air. Also, they like to be planted near brick or concrete. It helps keep the rhizomes dry, and contributes lime to the soil, which helps them.

Sumas, WA(Zone 6a)

I have three answers for you. See which one applies.
GERMAN IRIS (aka Grandmas' Iris, the ones with the stiff, fleshy, upright leaves) grows with a fat root starting right out from the base of the leaves, like the bottom of a letter "L". The top of that root likes to be in the sunshine. What you're describing sounds exactly like what happens when the roots of a German Iris are planted too deeply, and/or are all knotted together underground. Try prying up the rootball. You might have a huge Gordian knot under the ground there! If that's what you find, break it apart and save those roots. Plant them with the top of the root above the soil - they'll bloom next spring. These irises like moisture, but don't like stagnant, swampy conditions. Freezing will also make the roots corky.
ROCK GARDEN IRIS come up from a small, onion-shaped bulb with a netted, papery covering. They don't get much taller than 12 inches, and are naturally short-lived. They don't like wet conditions.
JAPANESE IRIS grow in huge, tall, grassy clumps. They have proper roots that grow entirely underground. They fan down and out from the crown, and get swollen tubers on them. I would be very surprised if these lilies even noticed the damp conditions. Mine grow in standing water!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.