Please tell me what is going on with my Shrub !

Royal Oak, MI

Noticed this a few weeks ago.
What could be happening ?
Thanks

Thumbnail by porkythepig Thumbnail by porkythepig Thumbnail by porkythepig
Kimberly, WI(Zone 5a)

From most likely to least:
It could be a damaged limb.. Follow it down and look for damage to the bark of cultural or animal nature.
The little browning on the base could be natural from shade kill.
It could all be from the sudden artic blast we had a while back, if that is your windward side of the shrub.
It could also be some type of weed killer or other agent of foliar destruction, but this seems least likely given the area of effect.. It would have almost had to of been splashed on there with a cup or something (got enemies?)
And without better pictures, including closeups, it's hard to say anything more than that.. So discussion about insects or fungal pathogens are kind of pointless for now.
Hope that helps.

Sumas, WA(Zone 6a)

Here's my guess.
Picture #1 is almost certainly dog damage. 2 and 3 could very well be 'leaf burn' from the roots of your evergreen being constantly baptized by the neighborhood hounds and spreading all the ammonia overload to the rest of the plant. If this is the case, you can still save this shrub. Here's how: A. Cut out the damaged parts with sterilized clippers 2. Scoop out the soil around the base of the plant - if you notice a certain signature aroma, you'll know I'm on the money with my diagnosis! Now water in until it pools, and... 3. Replace with fresh, clean medium. Any standard garden medium should work. 4. In front of and away from where the first signs of dog damage appeared, place a large stone or a cement ornament, something you won't mind the dogs visiting. Animals tend to mark the ends of rows, the corners of things, and scent intersections left by human and animal traffic. Once one animal marks there, all the rest of them have to come and 'leave their calling card' too. Give them a target away from the roots, something attention grabbing nearby but not too near. I find that a prominent rock works perfectly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.