Snapdragons

West Bloomfield, MI

Hi. Bought hanging basket of snapdragons. Now it looks like this after one month. Is there hope for it or do I just toss them. What should I do? I have put miracle gro on it

Thumbnail by cepgarden
Castro Valley, CA

Did you put the Miracle Grow on before or after it showed it was in great distress? Never stress a plant by fertilizing it when it is in a life and death struggle. It is like getting pregnant hoping to save a bad marriage. It just complicates things.

If it was looking good then did a fast nose dive after getting fertilized, I'd have to opine it was due to severe burning of roots by fertilizer. Never fertilize a totally dry plant as it will suck up that fertilizer with such gusto it will likely burn those delicate root hairs. Once the roots are damaged, the plant can no longer suck up water so it collapses.

Or you over watered the plant, keeping the roots too wet so again the roots rot and no longer can drink.

Whichever way, I think the roots are goners. I would look at them. Are they white and plump or dried up or gushy rotted? If totally a mess, just toss it. Lesson learned.

If some look viable, cut off the bad part till all good, no rot. Remove a bit of the soil where the good roots are, but not too much as the roots are already in distress. The bad roots and that soil hopefully has been left in the garbage bin. Cut the top off to just about 3 inches or so, each stem just above a node if possible.

Repot in a smaller pot (too big with too much soil will just promote wet roots and rot) with very porous, quick draining new soil then put in shade to decrease stress and see if it will put out new growth. But do not hold your breath.

I have found a lot of the color pots you buy at nurseries are not meant for the long run. Some have been fed all sorts of chemicals to grow fast and bloom to such an extent it fatigues the plant into death. They want the curb appeal fast to monetize the lot fast. It can be disheartening and no fault of the buyer when their plant gives it all up and dies despite loving care.

Even total failures educates the gardener. Just looking at the roots teaches. I personally, if able to, turn every pot over so the root ball falls into my hands to look at the roots before I buy. If the roots look sick, no. If the roots are so pot bound, no. If the roots are tiny in comparison to the pot, no. It was over potted to get more money due to pot size. If the upper part is huge in comparison to the lower roots, I know it has been fed too much of whatever they fed it to get it sold.

I forgot to mention future watering of this plant. If the soil was not very wet, water after repotting. Let it drain out the bottom freely. Then no water till it is almost dry. Hopefully, you will see growth from the nodes. A good way to judge if you should water is if you lift the pot when wet then lifting it when dry, you can tell how dry it is. Or stick your finger way down in the pot feeling for damp soil as you go. Also, as you get to know your plants, just looking at them can let you know how hydrated they are.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2021 3:38 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.