Bacterial infection on azalea?

Raleigh, NC

I noticed a section on an established azalea that I believe just appeared. The Picture This app informs me that it is a bacterial infection and advises that I use a 10% bleach solution pronto. I think I better get more opinions before doing that, but it is Memorial Day and I doubt I can get a Master Gardener from the extension center. Do you have any opinion as to what it is and advice?

Thumbnail by Yellowbricks
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Was any kind of chemical spray used recently? Cleaning the house? It looks like it was hedged/pruned recently so maybe the lower leaves are sunburned after being protected from higher limbs and leaves.

Raleigh, NC

That could be.The sunburn, I mean. The day before I had trimmed it. That corner receives the morning sun directly and perhaps it just lost its cover. The only chemicals I had used is Bonide's "Stay off" or "Stay Away", a spray that dissuades small animals from eating blossoms. I actually didn't spray anything on the azaleas but some spray may have drifted. However, this had never caused anything like this in the past.
I do think the plant needs fertilizing, just because the blossoming was weak this year, but I don't think that has anything to do with the discoloration. There has been under-fertilizing rather than overfertilizing.
But it looks like you're saying stay away from trying to correct things with anti-bacterial solutions or fungicides.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I can't tell by a picture if it is sunburn or a chemical burn. Last year my wife used Spray and Forget on the deck with my blessing. I was led to believe it was safe for plants. Later on I noticed some of the plants around the deck had some chemical burns. Hmm, maybe I should've rinsed those off as soon as she was done spraying a cleaner. Anyway the plants heal themselves despite looking ugly for a few weeks.

If all the leaves are looking bad then you really have a problem.

Raleigh, NC

OK Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.