What is it...and....

Somers, NY

So, this tree's about 10-years old (planted at about 3.5 feet tall) and now about 10-feet tall.) As you can see it's not looking good. I've had and arborist look at it and he told me there's nothing that I can do as this is its "growing habit" and my regular experienced gardener has said the same before that. I'd like to know what it is, as I don't recall from when it was planted. And, also, does anyone see a particular problem with it that I might address before I remove it? THANKS!

Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden
Severna Park, MD

Assume this is too late, but: it is probably a juniper. If cut limbs back beyond green needles, there will be no new growth on it. Browning could be from spider mites which is easy to determine by shaking a branch over a white piece of paper. Might then see the mites but if not, rub finger over the page to see if blood smears. Dead needles could also occur if you salt the pavement then shovel or plough snow under the tree. Regardless, it seems too far gone to recover.

Somers, NY

Thanks for your post though, it is too late. It wasn't spider mites but you very well could be right about the salt. It was about 7-feet away from the curb but with a big snow-fall that we sometime do have here, the pile created by the plowing could have brought the salted snow pretty close. Leeching into the earth close to the tree might be the cause. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.