Spring has Sprung

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Time to tell the tale of flowering woody plants!

One wintry day, it's all ice and snow - and you never think you'll see your garden again.

Inevitably, the Earth revolves to that place where the Sun starts warming us up. Reading books about flowering plants eggs us on.

The plants demand their freedom...

You watch a webinar about Witch Hazels...

And then they break loose.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, you're quick with the camera and have a lifetime of shrubs and trees. I've got a couple but am trying to get a kitchen garden in with weekend trips to the cottage. Great thread idea! Will try to post.

Things are blooming all around us - not just in our own gardens. Capture what is happening wherever you see it; home, neighbors, roadsides, shopping centers, libraries, parks, etc. Inspiration is everywhere.

A few more Witch Hazels, and then onward; here are a few Hamamelis that make their home at Viburnum Valley...

1. H. mollis 'Wisley Supreme'

2. H. x intermedia 'Jelena'

3. H. x intermedia 'Westerstede'

4. H. x intermedia 'Aphrodite'

5. H. x intermedia 'Diane'

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

The Witch Hazels are stellar in and at the end of winter. I often start seeing flowers popping in mid January on the Hamamelis mollis, and then followed soon by the many Hamamelis x intermedia selections. They are generally good for six weeks of color, unaffected by ice, snow, gloom, nor dark of night.

They are pretty much wrapped up now. It is the Cherry Dogwood's turn.

Cornus officinalis and Cornus mas are a blast of spring yellow, ahead of more common Forsythia shrubs. Tough to a fault, and pitching in interestingly exfoliating bark, you can count on the Cherry Dogwood to perform year after year.

Cornus officinalis hails from Japan and Korea. It starts blooming a little earlier than Cornus mas (about a week here) but overlaps for a good while. There are a number of named selections. The Valley is graced with the species, 'Cheer', 'Kintoki', and 'Spring Queen'.

1. Cornus officinalis

2. Cornus officinalis closeup of flowers (see the subtle shout out to me?)

3, 4, 5. Cornus officinalis 'Spring Queen'

There are a few odds and ends here, showing late winter color.

The unusual members of the Viburnum clan - not the showiest, and not the best performers here - sport some refreshing color in February and March.

They are fragrant, and where they are top performers they can perfume your garden with a sweet scent. Viburnum farreri (Fragrant Viburnum) and Viburnum x bodnantense (Bodnant Viburnum) are two hardy plants, but that appreciate growing conditions that are cooler in the summer than the Ohio River valley region, where the soil temperatures get higher than these species prefer.

1. Viburnum farreri 'Spring Dawn'

2. Viburnum farreri 'Spring Dawn' (pink) and 'White Perfume' (white)

3, 4, 5. Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'

So, back to the Cherry Dogwoods.

I use this common name because it is far more memorable than Cornelian Cherry, or Japanese Cornel. Both species Cornus mas and Cornus officinalis are members of the Dogwood genus, and rightly should have Dogwood in their common names. Grumble, grumble.

Cornus mas hails from Europe and western Asia, and has been cultivated since ancient times. The fruit can be made into preserves, and if allowed to fully ripen, tastes pretty good right off the plant. Consumed too soon, you will pucker up with astringency.

There are many named selections available, of which I have been growing many clones here at the Valley - now up to 10 taxa. In Europe, many are grown for commercial fruit production, which may not be available in North America.

Here are a few images. None are terribly dissimilar to Cornus officinalis.

1. Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' - twelve year old plants from 3G pots.

2. Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' - the same two plants, now 30 years old.

3. Cornus mas 'Flava' - this will have yellow fruit, rather than red.

4. Cornus mas 'Dripping Cherries'

5. Cornus mas 'Pyramidalis'

Corpus Christi, United States

It was a beautiful weekend here in South Texas! Finally starting to get my raised bed weeded and planted for the spring. I need to pressure wash the fence though (been too busy helping everyone else with their spring cleaning)
-Edward
https://www.corpuschristipressurewashers.com

Thumbnail by corpusoutdoors

Now, it's Magnolias, man.

1. A big old Magnolia x souleangeana

2. Magnolia x 'White Rose'

3. Magnolia x 'Spring Petticoats'

4. Magnolia x 'Ann'

5. Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star'

A brief foray out from the woody plants, it is never bad to think about partnerships and phenology.

Plants that bloom at the same time can create garden vignettes, AND help others understand the timing of bloom.

Busting out all over the Valley are myriad Narcissus selections. While I'm sorry I haven't tracked their identities, I do not apologize for their flamboyance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.