My 9 year old african violet...

Fort Worth, TX

Is alive, but I think it's time to start new roots, anyone know how?

Ames, IA(Zone 5a)

As in starting a new plant or encouraging the current plant to grow new roots?

Fort Worth, TX

it's got roots, it just has a massive long stem where leaves used to be, and leaves and flowers at the very top. Usually I manage to kill them when young, this one is not pretty in the middle, the top is ok, but it is old. I could put it in a really deep artistic pot I suppose

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

You could use a bigger pot, OR
You could de-pot, snap off bottom leaves until the leaves that are left are close together (not sparsley spaced), take a clean, sharp blade and make an angled cut about 2" below the leaves, plant, water, and IF there were no root hairs on the root you planted, then use a large, clear plastic bag w/ no holes and cover for a month. You won't have to water again, probably (keep an eye on the humidity that will show up inside the bag), OR
You could cut a few leaves off, clean sharp blade to angle-cut the ends, prop them up in water (cover container w/ plastic wrap w/ holes to stick stems through). When there are roots, stick the stems in soil (plant shallowly), and keep soil moist until baby leaves start growing., OR
do #2 and #3 at the same time.
Enjoy!

Fort Worth, TX

Wow, those are options. I will re-read these in the morning and see what I can do. have to feed a child.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.