What kind of Bird is this?

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

It, and many others like it, have been foraging beneath my black oil sunflower seed tube feeders. Today's date is 2/18/21 and I'm in Columbus, Ga.

Thanks,
Bobby

This message was edited Feb 18, 2021 2:09 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Sparrow more than likely. Other guess is finch of some kind.

http://www.sialis.org/otherbrownbirds.htm

https://www.thespruce.com/pictures-of-sparrows-4121969

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from hcmcdole :
Sparrow more than likely. Other guess is finch of some kind.

http://www.sialis.org/otherbrownbirds.htm

https://www.thespruce.com/pictures-of-sparrows-4121969

Thanks, I do have my fair share of sparrows

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe this is a pine siskin. We are having an irruption (not eruption), meaning an unusually large migration, in a number of Southern states this year. The birds are carrying salmonella in very high numbers. Georgians have been asked to take down feeders, discard remaining feed in trash and disinfect feeders wearing gloves. We did that immediately. All songbirds are especially susceptible but any bird sharing your feeder can become infected. People in my community are reporting finding multiple dead birds in their yards.

There is much information available on line. Although all birds are susceptible to salmonella, it is hitting especially hard this year. There are concerns about the effects on Georgia's non-migrating birds. Once the siskins migrate north again we can resume feeding.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
I believe this is a pine siskin. We are having an irruption (not eruption), meaning an unusually large migration, in a number of Southern states this year. The birds are carrying salmonella in very high numbers. Georgians have been asked to take down feeders, discard remaining feed in trash and disinfect feeders wearing gloves. We did that immediately. All songbirds are especially susceptible but any bird sharing your feeder can become infected. People in my community are reporting finding multiple dead birds in their yards.

There is much information available on line. Although all birds are susceptible to salmonella, it is hitting especially hard this year. There are concerns about the effects on Georgia's non-migrating birds. Once the siskins migrate north again we can resume feeding.

----------------

I looked at some photos of pine siskins and i'm not sure that's what mine is. Mine has a definite white eyebrow that I don't see in Internet pics of pine siskin.

And thanks for the Salmonella info. I didn't know that.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2021 11:02 PM

This message was edited Feb 19, 2021 11:03 PM

Lakeport, CA

This reminds me of either a Lark Sparrow or Savannah Sparrow. Savannah sparrows don't have a line next to the eye like this picture shows. The Savannah Sparrow (if you look it up) mostly has a yellow stripe, but some of the subspecies have a white stripe over their heads. It may also be a Lark Sparrow, but it would have to not have the eye stripe (meaning it would have to be a juv.) If it were to be a Finch, it would either be a female of a Purple or Cassin's Finch. I would best say Savannah Sparrow.

Marlborough, MA

Hi. That long, arcing eye stripe and the muddy stripes on the chest looks like a female purple finch

Chepachet, RI

It looks to me like a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak and they love sunflower seeds.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This is a female purple finch. Bill is too thick for a sparrow.

Russell, MN

Hi Bobby, I know you posted this a few yrs ago, so I hope you still check for updates, and tips/answers. I see a lot of potential answers. I hope I get a few responses from all over. First, I see your from Georgia (the South) and why does your post have some forward slashes in it, it makes the meaning seem confusing? Also, the picture is NOT in focus (fuzzy) So, it is hard to identify from us all. Get in focus, sharp image so we can all give you correct answers, as best we can. I feel the beak, will say so much needed info, and you can not see due to the angle and out of focus picture.
Last, I am unsure if this type of bird is around the South in your area, but it looks to me, closer than any of the commenters ideas, that I see. This site is to identify brown/white birds too, it should help so much. And, repost a clear picture for us to look at, if you say you get tons of them, and at a good angle to see the beak!!
This possible bird is a BROWN THRASHER or WOOD Thrasher!!, (did it have YELLOW EYES and long or short thick beak??) and it's identifying marks, similar
birds and a GREAT site to share and identify similar birds, best of luck! Please, respond anyone!

Russell, MN

Please share and comment, I will be posting NEW videos soon too!! Blessings to all bird-lovers!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The original poster started the thread less than a year ago as the date with standard back slashes indicates.

We not only have brown thrashers in Georgia, which is indeed in the South, it is our state bird! Unless the color is really off in Bobby's photo it is doubtful that it is a thrasher which is chestnut colored (reddish brown) and almost twelve inches long. It's such a very common bird that even a non-birder such as myself would recognize it.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with Maypop - the bird in question is not a brown thrasher as our state bird is at least 3x to 4x bigger than a finch or sparrow.

Camp Verde, AZ

Maybe that's a Sparrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.