Best/Worse/What did I learn today? Chat with friends, old and new..come sit a spell!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Came from here...

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1546227/?page=12

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Greg just called, a dear old friend of Roger and I passed away, she was having difficulties with her breathing, Neil went for his chemo treatment, when he got home she said she needed to go to emerge, they did testing, she had blood bleed but they found she had brain cancer, died a few hours later.

Greg’s godmother, from what greg said Neil won’t be far behind her.

Victoria Harbour, ON

This new thread hasn’t started off on a good foot..Darlene just messaged me that a friend of our from Florida died..he was bad at taking his insulin.. such a cheerful person

This photo was when he came up a few summers ago’s..not good

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh Betty, so sorry. Two loses at once. Very hard to take.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Goodness... that is a lot of friends all at once. I am sorry to hear that.

I worked pretty much all day and got LOTS of minor projects done that I have been procrastinating about. The ONE project I really wanted to get done, that did not happen: Put a wall hanging up on the blank new wall. I decided that I wanted to finish a floral wall hanging & put it up. The top is done, I need to sandwich & quilt, bind. I hope to at least get it all pressed up and the sandwich ready for tomorrow.

I wish I knew what made today different. I was really on a roll today! I did take a couple of brief breaks, but no nap and no reading. I did not do much sewing, finished a couple of things so I could get them off my table and clean up better. Not having the dog was a big help, I did not have to split attention between monitoring the interactions, taking dog out etc.

I really hope tomorrow goes as well as today. Already canceled my hair appointment. There is no reason good enough for me to go out on those roads right now. FIRST I'd have to dig the berm away from the snow plow!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, it’s another cold one, just came in from shovelled, maybe 3-4” but thought with the storm moving in today best I get rid of what is there,,didn’t take too long.

Earlier this morning I put Valentine’s Day away, having coffee and serial and will look what is in St Patrick’s day tote.

Pat yesterday was a day similar to yours, didn’t seem as though I overworked, had mega breaks, but then when you get up at 3 it’s not a wonder you can slowly move through the day and cross off a lot of to do’s

Picked my daily ‘ to do’ looks like I will clean all lighting fixtures in dining/living room, once that is done I will play.

Pat are you getting more snow? My Andrew only plots once the roads department has plowed and that is pretty early. Lordy you always have so many ideas for projects, give you credit, you do get them done.

I’ve a spring project I want done as soon as once can auger post holes but once we can go into Home Depot I’ll start to get my supplies, I’ll attach a photo..I made one almost identical in back yard, I hang a plant on that one..

Karen you feeling a tad better this morning?

Lindakay did you get snow?

Next person going into town I’ll ask to pick me up milk, think I can make it to the 17th before what I have sours..hate frozen milk..should mark powdered milk on my grocery list, it would do for coffee in a pinch..hmm I remember someone telling me to pour milk in ice tray, freeze and if I need milk for coffee it’s just the right amount.

Well coffee break is over, don’t want to sit too long or my get up and go will have gone

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Yep, still getting more snow. I am not even going to try and take the garbage out & move it to the road!! I only have one can full & I have 3. I can easily wait until next week and not have a problem.

The picture you posted Betty, it's very pretty!

Later, I expect my DIL & granddaughter to stop by, they will need to meet up with her EX to get the other granddaughter back. I hope the roads are good enough that can all be accomplished. If DIL can't make it out of the mountains, I will get drafted to pick up/ meet. guess I should at least clear the berm from the snow plow or I doubt anyone can get in or out here.

I'll check in later to see how everybody is doing. Betty seems to have been the only one to the computer this morning.

Victoria Harbour, ON

clock watching Pat, morning is long

Smart thinking about now bringing trash to roadside, it’s actually quite icy under that snow.

Susan, how about you, are you having your traditional Calgary weather? Are you able to get to work without problems?

Going to have an early lunch, took pea soup out of the freezer

Was going to work on penguin piece but it’s close to going 8n garbage..went through all my measurement, it’s narrow but long and not a lot of fabric left..grrr

Let’s see what else I can get into

Decorated for St Patrick’s day, few more things to set out, no rush right lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I had a fairly good night, only up 4 times. Walt fixed me a lovely brunch, I really cannot eat much before noon. Actually had some meat, very good. I am a carnivore. I can go without for quite a spell but I do love it.
No snow here. I do believe there is a forecast for the area but it might or might not hit here. Usually doesn't last if it does.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well that is a step in the right direction Karen, for you to be talking brunch is wonderful..on the mend you are..maybe soon you will say you were sewing..although they are still calling for storm it must have slowed down a tad, wind is up but so far so good.

Decided I best cut up the applesauce cakes and put in the freezer, I’ve eaten half of one since yesterday just passing by and grabbing a wee slice, a wee slice many times = 1/2 a cake.

Talked to mom earlier, she was eating cheesies in bed and some got on her pillowcase, she added bleach to water and the eyelet turned yellow... she said they were her favourite pillow cases, now 9ne white and one yellow, anyone know of somehow to whiten??

Also excited, remember Carol Peddle and her secret garden, she called and we had such a nice chat..think she was the 1st DG member I ever met..on my visit she bought me a garden plaque which to date I always set on back deck..cherish it.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty, thinking eyelet has some synthetic in it. All cotton wouldn't have done that.The two ways I know, I have my doubts will work if it's poly. I use a soak with Oxy-Clean, Era detergent and Hot water. The other is Rit color remover but that usually is for a color bleed. I guess her best bet would be to wash the other pillow case also with bleach. At least they would match.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will give her your suggestions Karen, not sure why she is so distressed over them to cry all night but I’m thinking it’s more she ruined them. Am sure she would have oxi- clean, staple in my house.

Hairdresser called, perm appt. Wednesday at 4:45, oh praise the Lord!

Have a few things to do outside before storm starts, guess I had best get a move on

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm just afraid, if bleach yellowed them, they are done for.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Karen, so pleased you are making a slow but sure recovery. And eating is a wonderful sign.

Betty, that is a beautiful item you re going to build. I am with you on the cake. I can small slice something like that until it is gone. Therefore, I just do not bring it into the house. Especially potato chips. I purchased some chili pistachios at Costco and they were so fantastic, the package kept calling my name. My daughter asked me if I wanted another package, I answered, "No please can't resist them.

Pat, Vern had children with an ex when we got married. She played games with our schedule for years. Then she went in for an increase in child support and after she lied to the judge and the judge found out her boyfriend was spanking the youngest boy, we came home with custody of the 2 children. Long story.

Pat, Todd and family got home and today Luke, DGS, was helping clean off the driveway

Our weather today was good. 57 was the high but no wind. Housekeeper was here so the dogs and I were kicked out o the house so we sat in the front in the sunshine and enjoyed a frozen drink I pay for and she picks up at McDonald's for me every other Monday. Very sweet sinful delight I allow myself.

Around 3 I put the dogs in the house and hand watered many plants I could see needed moisture. Came back into the house and was getting ready to watch the news and determined it was time for their second walk.

Now it is time for their dinner. Good thing I have the animals or I would have nothing to do.

Texas is really getting slammed with the ice storms. Very unusual for Texas.

Hang in their Linda.

Betty your mom is probably crying about something different than the pillow case. It just set her off.

Hugs to you all.

First photo is Peanut laying near by where we were sitting enjoying the sun. Second photo is me and two granddaughters in my old veg garden. GD on the left is now 27 and GD on the right is now 29. Probably late April or early May.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WOW Sharon, those are some beautiful little girls. I bet they grew up to be gorgeous women!!

Betty, post a picture of the penguin quilt and let us all look at it to see if we can suggest any easy fixes. I know you are frustrated, a lot of work to NOT like it!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, we had mega snow, maybe 1 1/2 ft and still falling..I’m sitting here letting my hands and feet warm up a tad before i get in the bath I just ran..maybe a hot chocolate...I would say that by the time I got all my shovelling done there was a good 2-3” inches in the deck/staircases

Know that I will be out shovelling this afternoon again or I’d not be able to keep up
In some areas it was difficult shovelling, lifting shovel and t(rowing it well over 5’ snow banks

Plows were out earlier than usual, guess for the school buses as they start up in our region.

Pat, I will indeed show you the penguin quilt..wondered because there were rows of star block across how it would look with one going down the side?
Next trip downstairs I will take a photo

Sharon , likely you are right, it’s the straw that broke the camels back..
The girls are so pretty, Years go by so quickly..peanut knows the best tanning places.

Hmmm is it Pancake Tuesday today?? Likely the box of mix has expired if when I was cleaning cupboards I didn’t throw it away

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Good morning everyone.
I am still here. It has been maybe 25 or the high, and down to 15 at night.
We have been without power since 7 Saturday night. Our home is all electric, so no heat. We go to the car to get warm. Hardly any stores or restaurants open, so yesterday afternoon, Todd cooked us hotdogs on the grill.
I haven't been able to get online very often. Guess the cellphone towers are frozen too.
Betty, so sorry to hear of your friends passing. So sad to hear.
I will be back when I can.

Good morning everyone.
I am still here. It has been maybe 25 or the high, and down to 15 at night.
We have been without power since 7 Saturday night. Our home is all electric, so no heat. We go to the car to get warm. Hardly any stores or restaurants open, so yesterday afternoon, Todd cooked us hotdogs on the grill.
I haven't been able to get online very often. Guess the cellphone towers are frozen too.
Betty, so sorry to hear of your friends passing. So sad to hear.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I thought maybe you MIA do to weather..watching NC as they had a February tornado and that in Texas was rotating power grid to try and help

Wow, is this the first time you’ve had such a storm?

Stay in, keep warm, get those quilts out you made and cuddle up.

My penguin piece..

Storming a bit, going to Sharons to pick up my meet pies as greg and Mel are coming for supper..I’ve got fixings for pea soup going, I’ll make a pie, have scalloped potatoes and that way all that I make if they can’t come won’t be lost

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Shrove/Fat Tuesday - who is having pancakes ? When I was growing up we always had pancakes and sausages today. I would run just over a mile to my Welsh grandparents' house to have blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

I got your snow Betty. It's still snowing and it looks like it will be for the rest of the day. When I went out to get the ash can around 7 am the snow depth was over the top of my boots.

Oh LK I wondered if you were without power. I suppose that happens so rarely to you having a generator wouldn't make sense. Too bad you are so far away as I have a small propane heater you could have used.

Betty is it our age or what ? I too have heard of 2 friens' deaths in the last 2 weeks.

Stay safe and warm.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Feel for all of you who aren’t equipped like Dianne, Susan and I..likely Deb and Debbie arebut the rest of you must be overwhelming, especially without power.

Tis our age Dianne, sad to say but more to come, finding it difficult as nobody is having the traditional funerals where we could pay our respect.

Looked for pancake mix, no go, must have thrown box out when I was cleaning cupboards, have sausages hmmm maybe I’ll look for a mix online that I could make..
My grandma always had pancakes as well..

Have pea soup simmering, going to make a lemon meringue pie, (maybe I could make greg and Mel pancakes instead) then later get supper ready..other than that I can play..was laughing to myself when I put bedding in washer, thought maybe when dry and I make my dead I can just climb right in it.

It’s coming down quickly Dianne, I did my shovelling, then redid the few inches that had fallen while I shovelled, braved the element and went to Sharon’s to pick up what she thinks she will have left of her penguin piece.NO WAY did I get as much in my kit then she did.anyway

Should really go out and shovel again but will wait til later

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, I don't know if you will be back on but I just saw yester about making a quick and easy alcohol heater. Needed: about 2 cups rubbing alcohol, 1 roll toilet paper, a can to hold toilet paper. Remove cardboard roll from toilet paper, stuff it into the can pour alcohol over and let soak in. Light and it will burn a long time and give off quite a bit of heat. If paper starts to burn, add more alcohol.

Maybe asymmetrical, run an alternating star with a block of penguins down ONE side only?

Yes, I think part of it is age. When we were younger, likely we not as emotionally close to the ones that were dying. Now, many are our peers. Plus, as we age, our circle is actually bigger, the people we know. Having lived longer and had more interactions thru life with more people.

Linda, I cannot imagine being without heat of any kind!!!! I am so sorry! When we lived in Portland OR, we lost power EVERY year. The longest was a full week. We were prepared with a small indoor safe heater. Hung blankets to wall off just ONE room and heated it. Cooked outside with Coleman stove. We did have running water! I was grateful for that! About now a motor home would look pretty darn good!!!

We always made pancakes from scratch.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is quite something Karen, good way to stay alive..hard to imagine Texas being hit, to me that is normally northers states and Canada. Was think8ng, if no hydro maybe they could head out to another area, dah, roads aren’t good enough..hope. Their gas tanks are full.

I was thinking star blocks on right but never thought of alternating penguin blocks with stars..cooked most of the day, Lordy half the community could come for supper and there would still be leftover..when cutting my potatoes for scalloped potatoes I knew there were too many so I’m partially cooking them and they will make great homefries one day..I usually just do box scalloped potatoes because I’m alone but made from scratch today, lord knows if they will turn out.

Almost forgot my dinner rolls in the oven, caught them just in time

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We had a lot of wind today but temp was in high 50s. I had a manicure today and a hair cut tomorrow. Then nothing until March 11. I do have an appointment for my second shot on March 9. Overdue but only appointment I could get. If not good enough, then I will just start over.

Betty I cannot believe you moved over 2' of snow. And it is still coming down. Granddaughter that lives in St. Louis said their temp today was 7, as a high. They stocked up on groceries so they didn't need to leave their home.

Linda, I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I can take being hot but not cold. I herd on the news a family went into the garage and started their car to stay warm. Two of the four members, mother and daughter, died from carbon dioxide.

Told my garden helper to skip this week and come next week so we could do two days and it is going to be in the 70s. Hope to get my new hill done and planted.

Please take care of your self and be safe. Betty, enjoy your dinner with your family,

So sad, people just don't remember, or never heard, about the dangers of running the car in garage. Have you ever watched an indoor car auction for fancy cars?? The cars are PUSHED in and pushed out. Never started.

I hired help to move snow so I could get my car out for appointments for tomorrow. I cleaned the linen closet and the shelves about the washer & dryer. I had my helper replace light bulbs. I avoid the ladder when I can. I hurt so bad the following day it is not worth the climb!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, weatherman was less than truthful , said I had a day of rest from shovelling, no go, just started snowing heavily grrr on the good side 31 days till spring!

Karen, did you get a good nights sleep and feeling stronger today?

Sharons, how exciting to see things on your social calendar even if it is health related lol. 50 is a good temp although chilly for you. I am sure your landscaper guys appreciated thoughtfulness

Greg and Mel were here after work, stayed til 8:30 then greg and to get snow blowing done, Mel was going to do the deck and Greg the drive, was thinking here is 2 of you and a big snowblower and 20 years younger..didn’t feel bad for them 😜

Roger had 10 a cousin who had gone to drive in with his girlfriend..they went parking on side road and found d end in the morning both 17...just brought back a bad memory to this day haunts me, Roger and I were in the lineup to give condolences, I told uncle Martin how sorry I was for his loss, he started screaming out of control, how did my sorry going to bring him back etc etc..they had to come get him and take him away.,guess I was in wrong place at wrong time but from then on I panicked doing so at other funerals..over the years my aunt did, the mother of the girl that died lost her hubby and uncle Martin and her married..think they got in over 25 years of marriage.,here I so went of track...

Glad you you found someone to s(over

Hoping lindakay and hubby are cuddled up warm

Verona, ON

LK how are you and Todd doing ? Of course I have to ask this "how are the dogs?" Do you even have winter clothes ? Bet you are layered up.

Keiran came to shovel twice yesterday. Sun is shining at the moment but I expect Betty's weather soon.

I feel lazy today - I think I need a couple of nights good sleep under my belt.

Kai is just too smart for his britches. He has discovered the metal coils you use to stop doors from slamming into the wall. Well he is moving from room to room batting the coil then barking and growling at it. If I have opened the door he uses his head to close it so he can get at the coil

A pair of 4 wheelers trespassed on my property about 10 pm last night, I was and still am furious. There are trails all around me for people to use. They came in off of the lake from someone else's property then used the lane to go where ever. At least then didn't come back that way. We know responsible drivers would not do this especially after dark. The jerks also lowered the gate and didn't put it back up. Grrrrr. .

Karen how are you and Walt feeling today ?

Susan are you frozen in out west ?

Stay safe, warm and healthy.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2021 11:35 AM

WOW.. lowered the gate and didn't even put it back up? I'd be angry too!!

I can just picture Kai with the door stops!! TOO CUTE!!! With pets, there is never a dull moment. I hung Stanley's "fish" inside the upside down laundry basket and watched him push & chase it across the hardwood floor. Doesn't take much to entertain me!! He's scheduled to see the vet this afternoon. They will come out to the parking lot, I will be required to remain in the car.

I cut the shelf in the 2nd bathroom yesterday. I hope to patch the "wall" inside in the cabinet & get both of them painted tomorrow. I had cut a shelf in the other bathroom last week. I took advantage of having Gabe borrow the neighbor's small had saw, & then return it & my jigsaw to the garage. Anything to save steps!

If I hope to get some things done this morning, I had better get at it!!!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Was having a good day yesterday, even laid out everything for a shower. Never got there though, it seemed to go south. Then a really bad night, sick to my stomach and pains. Started around 3 and that was pretty much it for me. For some reason I got it stuck in my head I was going to have a heart attack and was afraid to go back to sleep. Obviously I didn't and think I will try again for that shower in a bit. Better day today.

Good afternoon. Still no power. Everything in town is closed. We have a full tank of gas, but can't get any more. Gas pumps run on energy.
No, we don't have winter coats, so we have been layering clothes. At least 3 to 4 layers. If it gets too cold we go to the car. Twice now we have slept in the car.
Our governor has opened an investigation against the power companies. They announced that price if electricity before storm was $30.00 per kilowatt hour. Once the storm hit, they raised the price to $9000.00. That is price gouging and it's illegal.
Stories are on my Facebook page for anyone that cares to read them.
Karen, thanks for the alcohol burner information. I will check it out.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is beyond gouging Lindakay..glad you have a way of keeping warm but if sleeping in car do leave windows partially open..whenever you are back up and running you should order some of those pads you put in boots, gloves etc, battery operated units just incase this happens again..weather patterns seem to be +hanging

One has to wonder how poor street people manage??

Ohh Karen, hugs, panic attack like feeling you are having heart attack and may never wake up must have been overwhelming..did you get to have your shower..here is hoping you had shower and now comfy in bed ready for a good nights rest.

Pat, extra shelves, hurrah are you able to paint shelving outside or is it too cold.

I bought planking for shelving last fall when Brian was working here, says he will come in the next few weeks to finish a few things he started so I’ll have him cut them..also have peg board I’d like to see up..

Dianne, you didn’t get me snow, still here and falling..went for a perm earlier and shovelled when I got home, hope we will both have better weather tomorrow.

You could buy all kinds of play toys for Kia but he would rather find his own..bet he is giving you much joy..
Not a wonder you are upset about the atv, to think they even left the gate open..there is always those who think trails is for the other guy and break rules..if the ones that are travelling farmer fields that winter wheat has been planted the trail use permits for those trails will be cancelled.

Rather tired tonight, hope I can sleep and sleep in at least til 7 lol

Pacifica, CA

Evening all,
Had not been on in a while hope your all healthy and good
Was watching cnn recooping from knee surgery and i heard del rio texas was without power, thought of Lk immediatly,
Praying for her and todd and furries.hope they get some kind of heat soon.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I did get that shower today and feel ever so much better for it.

Diane, Is there any way to lock the trespassers out?

I've seen some terrible examples of price gouging in Texas and am hoping they all get heavy fines....more than their ill gotten gains. Would you believe a Days Inn charging over $400 a night?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, with shovelling last night there was no need to do so this morning..oh happy days but Mother Nature isn’t finished more to come and I think weather station says all of next week..

Liz, nice seeing you post, ‘nee surgery? What did you have done? Can imagine you with leg up and you doing nothing..

Wow price gouging, that is where those money hun*ry bu**ers come out...once this emergency is over people should stop using them or their stores..so very sad when people are in need.

Kudos for you Karen, bet you feel like a new woman ..today will be a great day for you..

Going downstairs for the morning, want to get some sewing and load of wash done, my ‘ to do ‘ from jar is clean the basement entrance closet ..

Maybe I’d better wake up first, went to take a drink of my coffee, forgot to put water in it..

View from back bedroom that overlooks the gardens..summer and now

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Good morning. The sun is not shining and if the WLs are right it won't shine all day.

LK you are in my thoughts. Having experienced a few ice storms with no power for days makes me concerned for you and your DH. I just saw the GMA news coverage of your storm and it looks like a disaster zone. Were you able to get your water shut off and pipes drained before any damage was done ? I heard 1 0fficial say this was the winter equivalent of Hurricane Harvey. How are you supplied for food and water ?

Oh Karen I am so glad you got to have a shower. There's something about a shower when you are feeling punky that just perks you up.

Liz it is so good to see you. What type of knee surgery did you have ? Did you see the photos of my puppy Kai ? Boy he is a ball of energy.

There is no way I can lock the trespassers out Karen. I have a huge amount of shoreline so they can gain access anywhere off of the lake.

Need to call the body shop today and get the Escape in for repairs. Some cedar trees had the audacity to jump right out in front of me.

Deb how are you making out with all this weather ?

Has anyone heard from Susan ?

Stay safe, well and warm.

Good morning everyone.
Still no power. We had turned off the water, but had frozen pipes that busted. We got it fixed. We just got water again this morning, so we have faucets dripping so they don't freeze again.
It is snowing this morning, supposed to get up to 6 inches today, and tonight's temp is dropping to 20. It won't be nice roads for those that have to drive.
We had a freezer full of food, but with no power, it is now all defrosted. We will run to town, and see what restaurants are open. We have no power here, but heard some places in town are getting power.
Liz, sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thumbnail by taters55

LindaK are you sure the freezer is defrosted? Most freezers will hold frozen for SEVERAL days. If yours is just your little frig one, probably not. As cold as it is, you could bag up your freezer contents and put it OUTSIDE to keep frozen.

My sons 2nd Covid shot was canceled, the facility where the shots were going to be done was opened for the homeless.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Liz.

Karen, glad you are feeling a little better!

When the prices on face mask was being raised, Amazon dropped those sellers.

My medicine cabinet had 3 fixed place shelves. I cut out a portion of the middle one which made ONLY 2 shelves in part of it. The painting that needs to be done is IN the medicine cabinet so no worries.

Lyndonville, NY

HONEY, I'm HOME!!!!

Gosh miss you all so much. I have so much to read and catch up on when time.

BUT, I am here!!!
Debbie

Pacifica, CA

Thank you lk, tha ks diane new puppy!!!!!! Oh where you. Post that

Betty this is my 3rd minicus surgery, this one i was on a 2 step ladder the steps gave out i went straight down, no twisting or turning, it was the impact i tore it down to the root, any closer to blood supply would of been knee replacement, so im very thankful!!!! Yep sitting doing knitting, and hand sewing, i have a great orthopedic surgeon, no pain. I feel good but know not to push it lol,
Love all your st pattys decor.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2021 6:31 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.