seed atarting soil

Arlington, MA

I would like to warn people starting seeds about a problem I had last year. I lost more than 100 seedlings due to the seedling starter mix I used. I couldn't figure out what the problem was: I had disinfected everything , had good growmats and a new gro-light. Finally, I planted identical seeds in pots with garden soil and the seed starter mix. The gro-mix seeds were small, pale, and stunted. I took the side by side plants back to my local garden center. They refunded my purchase, but that was small compensation for losing all my spring veggies, flowers and herbs. I emailed the company to report it and they said great you got your money back!!!

I'd like to warn others to prevent this heartbreak. It was Fox Farms Light Warrior and the company never said they would do anything to test or correct the problem.
Light Warrior on left in photo.

Thumbnail by Roanie
Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for letting us all know! A parable to remind us all to do business with small, local businesses when given the opportunity. Big business isn't in the business to care.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I use a soilless seed starter mix called Magik - Moss when starting all of my plants from seed. A soilless mix provides a cleaner medium and gives you more control. Besides being free of pests and diseases and other contaminants, you can blend in additional ingredients for preferred drainage, water retention, nutrition, and airspace.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2021 4:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.