Morning Glories 2021 #01

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1545951
From 2019

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Jackie. Beautiful flowers..

Gautier, MS

Jackie, beautiful blooms. I hope to grow Black King and somr more of my favorite mgs this spring.

Thanks Linda and Helena.
Helena, me too. This yr I need to concentrate more on growing out my
favorite seeds that might be getting old. It's too late for my original chocolate seeds from Mr Hudson that date back to 05 or 06. I might try sowing a few just to see what happens, pretty sure they'/re no longer viable.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, hope your seeds are still viable from 05 or 06 I know a lot of mine are goners too though I still try. I have started a few just don't know if they will grow good or not. A few had good root start so I know those will grow. I have been going through my mg seeds to see which ones to start first. I know that I want to grow higes and purpureas first.
Today I just happen to look at one of my milkweed plant that I didn't cut back and to my surprise I found a monarch caterpillar under a leaf. Really surprised it survived all the cold days we have had. So I moved it closer to the other plants that I didn't cut back.1st pic is of the caterpillar.
I also found a tiny queen anne's lace seedling with a few tiny flowers too. I have a few larger seedlings from it in another pot that I'm letting grow.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Amazing that you had a caterpillar that survived the cold. Must be able to stand more cold than what we give them credit for.
Looking forward to your Queen Anne's Lace flowers
Hope I can find time to go thru my mg seeds soon.

An Ip carnea from Linda opened a couple of days ago.
Pretty ochracea blooms but my lvs are bug ridden.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie. I'm so envious of your ochacea and carnea which for some reason even when I bought mature carnea plants seem to die on me.
My caterpillar is munching on leaves outside. I'm not messing with him, let nature do it's thing this time outside.
Here's a few more pics, I have a few of these seedlings coming up on some of my pots #1 pic but I don't know if it's weeds or something I sowed. #2 is either dill or fennel and another pot with queen annes lace.
Hope you get time to look through your mg seeds Jackie.

Helena, I haven;t done well with carnea either. I should have planted it in the
ground to get off to a good start. I have a few ochracea pods coming along.
I haven't pollinated lately but will try to do better
Helena, to me the lvs in your Pics # 2 and 3 look similar?? As the leaves get larger you will be able to tell more about them.
Don;t know when i will get to go thru my seed pks, hopefully soon.
Our only warm day here with rain but warmth won;t last long cold again by tonight.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, hope your hand pollinating works. I know I have seeds of ochracea stored in my refrig butter part on door. I have others there too for long keeping.
I went through my seeds and have probably hundreds that I like to grow again. You have to make time to look Jackie or else you just won't. Here's a pic of a few that I will start. So I have 6 seedlings that came up of the Ip nil that I started the others like its a no go..,It rained a bit last night here too, gray now and they are saying cold again in low 40 or less on Friday.
I might direct sow some of the purpureas, some of these I just bought from Lowe's and WalMart.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, I will finally get around to looking but i do need to do it now. i could easily pick out hundreds but there's no way I can start that many
I bought the giant mixed colors too but I need to go back and pick up a pkt of purps,
especially the pinks. The giant mxd colors look like nils to me. I know the Zeeland mix you bought used to have nils and Ron told us yrs ago that Early Call Mxd has nils included.

Gautier, MS

Hope you get the purps too Jackie. The giants mixed do look like nils to me too.
I'm not sure what the difference is between the early call and the nils. So I want to keep them separate. Hoping from all these I'll get some neat blooms! So ready for spring. We have fog, some rain and it looks gloomy now. Hope the sun comes through later.

Dreary here today too Helena.
I looked till I found a pic of my blue Early Call Mxd from Sept 2019.
Debs Pretty Pink from same day Sept 2019.
I want to grow both of these this yr Or instead of looking for my blue early call seeds, I might just try to grow out a few of the mxd early call sds. i don;t know what all colors are included.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Helena, hope you can tell what your plants are soon.
Beautiful blooms Jackie.

Thanks Linda.

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie. The early call envy do have some pretty color blooms. I know I grew a few when I first started growing mgs.
Thanks Linda, yes I will eventually see what I'm growing. I do like the looks of these seedlings.
My caterpillars have survived another cold night. Maybe they are a lot more tougher than we give them credit for survival.

Thanks Helena. very interesting about your caterpillars.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2021 11:35 PM

Gautier, MS

I started soaking my higes and purpurea seeds this morning. Jackie, my dh got a very interesting book on herbs and wild plants to use. I just happen to open the page on queen annes lace, learning a lot, did not know it resembles hemlock which is poisonous. I also googled some more so I'll be able to check if I have the real ones growing or not.

Helena, I have field guides to wildflowers for Eastern and Western USA ,
I forgot that queen anne's lace resembles the very poisonous hemlock,.
My son and I look stuff up in them all the time. Very interesting and informative
my Jacobinia made 1 bloom same as Justicia

Thumbnail by patootie

Jackie, that bloom is beautiful.

Helena, glad you got to soak some purp seeds. I;m nowhere close to starting

Thank you Linda. I'm so happy to have this plant again,

This message was edited Jan 30, 2021 3:46 PM

Gautier, MS

I love most wildflowers, the field guides are great to get to know about them. I do have quite a few books on flowers.
I love your beautiful jacobinia flowers, the color is so pretty. I grew a few long ago.
Was away for the weekend so didn't even get to get my seeds in soil. Some have roots coming out others still don't. We'll see if they make it or not.

Thanks Helena. I do love the Jacobina too. It's already begging for a bigger pot, they can grow quite large. I hope your other mg's sprout.

Gautier, MS

Yes, I got my higes and purpureas into the cups this morning. Now I'll just have to wait and see if they'll come up. Hope we get a good start.

Helena, hopefully you'll get blooms b4 the heat of
summer sets in since you're getting an early start on your purps.
My purps never come into their own b4 late Sept and early October,
then they're blooming machines
I bought a pkt of Sunrise Serenade hige, hope I can find my Split Second hige
sds so I can start a couple of those,

I hope you all get lots of blooms.

Gautier, MS

I hope so Jackie. I see a few of my purps starting to pop up. I did cover them with soil, so it takes them a bit longer.
Hope you find your split second hige seeds too Jackie. I really like the light pink color they have.
Hoping for lots of blooms too Linda.

Looking forward to lots of mg blooms too. Glad your purp's are coming up Helena. Hoping I can find my SS hige seeds. I'm soaking some Abelmoschus seeds that are old but have a new pkt if these don't sprout, This is in the Hibiscus family

Gautier, MS

Me too Jackie but I haven't started on the ip nils yet. Only 2 seedlings from old seeds I started a few weeks before. I still want to start more higes and purps.
Hope your hibiscus seeds sprout but it's always good to have back ups.
I have seeds I collected of Texas star I want to start, huge red flowers. I have not gone through seeds I grew last winter and some from summer either.
Did I tell you that I bought a portable hard drive and removed all my pictures from my computer. It's still kind of slow if I shut my computer off but it doesn't take as long to log on as it use to. I probably need to reboot it. I have to remove a lot of pictures from my phone too. I really should use my real camera this spring when my plants start blooming.

Helena, glad you purchased a portable hard drive. Hope I can still do that.
The Texas Red Star is a lovely Hibiscus. I used to have one,. I lost it but I should have'grown it in the ground and would have been easier. they are hardy around here dying to the ground but coming back in the spring.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, ik. They are a good re-seeder too. I do think they like wet areas, that's where I collected my seeds. Soaking more higes and purps this morning.
I had to water my plants in gh yesterday. Today I took pics of some of the blooms in there. My cactuses are blooming, another will open soon. I'm ready for spring to get here.
I'm starting a new album for my pics.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, beautiful blooms. I love your Abutilon flower in the 1st pic and that lovely pink succulent bloom in the same pic. It's a beautiful shade of pink. # 2 looks like an Aloe bloom and 3 a Salvia. Do you have a name for the orange flowered plant
Ready for Spring too but we have that bitter cold air to get thru in a couple of days

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I couldn't remember the name of the orange flower so had to go look it up at "almostedenplants.com it's justicia spicegera. Got it last year a hummer plant.
Jackie, I think we are still going to get some cold weather here too weather I like it or not.

Helena, I thought I saw your Justicia when I ;looked up my Jacobinia (justicia) carnea when I first purchased mine.Yours is full of blooms and very pretty.
I dread these bitter cold temps. This will be the coldest we've had in a long time.

Helena, those blooms are so beautiful.

We are going to get cold here too.

My neighbor went out a few weeks ago and bought flowers to fill her pots. I told her to keep them inside, as we have a cold front coming. When she looked at the forecast on her phone, she was mad at herself, for not checking it earlier.

Linda, how cold is it expected to get there? We'll have wind chill temps below zero
here by the weekend.

Sunday looks to be our coldest, 44 for the high, 22 at night.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda. There are quite a few justicias species, I've had and still like to buy a few of them.
You get a lot more colder weather Jackie. Our low's have been in the 30's but mostly only for a day or two. It warms up by noon. I really don't watch the news much anymore so I'm not keeping up with the temps.
Yesterday got my latest batch of higes and purps into their pots. But I'm keeping them in a portable gh outside, we'll see how they do. In some pots there is more than five seeds .

Good luck with your plants Helena.

Helena,. I always watch the weather so I can set the heat in my green house.
Now my plants are in danger cause dh did not fix all the places in my g house where the lining plastic was down, so I've lost my dead air space on that side. I'm going to try to hang some plastic on that side to block some of the cold air. Hard to do with all my plants in there and no place to move them to.
So glad you've got seeds going. Looking forward to your blooms.

I hung the plastic by myself.. I didn't do a good job but it helped some,
Today I'm going to add another heater, getting ready for the bitter cold.
July 2019
2nd pic is a wildflower looking like a wild geranium ???
# 5 is a shoo fly plant

This message was edited Feb 13, 2021 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.