Buddah Belly

Tampa, FL

If I cut my leggy buddah belly back to the belly part will it keep growing.
My plant has become leggy and the belly never became fat.

Thumbnail by Nancyswool
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe not enough light? You can probably cut it and make it squatter but not sure if that makes the belly grow fatter or not.

I grew mine from seed and while "not fat" they are shorter than your plant. I put them in full sun for summer and under a shop light for winter.

I grew 10 in one pot and gave away five. Then in late April I put the remainder in separate pots.

This was the last picture I did in mid-December.

last week in June and slowly growing.

September shows much bigger leaves.

Here is some in a pot in Thailand on our last visit in 2018. I wished my leaves would be palmate like these to add a little more interest.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Tampa, FL

I read somewhere that in order to get a fat belly they need to be in a shallow pot.
When I bought the plant it was tall and even though it has been in the sun it has grown taller.
I’m going to take a chance and cut it and repot it.
I also have started some from seeds. Very slow grower.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe a squat pot might force them to store more water? A shallow root system?

Show us some pictures if and when you cut the top out. I'd like to see how it comes out.

I have Jatropha multifida (Guatemalan rhubarb) too and have thought about cutting the tops out as they are about 3.5 to 4 feet high. It has never bloomed but the leaves are very interesting.

I think my Buddha Belly plants are 3 years old from seed that I got off eBay.

Okay the seeds are from May, 2018 so not quite 3 years old yet. Four months later and they are growing nicely.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.