SOLVED: PLANT IDENTIFACTION

West Babylon, NY

I have been taking care of this as I thought it was impatiens. The little buds don't seem to open. Found in my South Florida garden. Anybody?

Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2
Castro Valley, CA

As soon as I looked at your picture I thought impatiens but I think it is 1 of the much rarer kinds and not the very common Impatiens walleriana. I used to grow some of them and loved then! They reseed so easily. Only time will tell with the bloom or if someone recognizes that distinctive leaf with red veins.

I do wonder how where you are growing this in winter in NY. I wonder if it is chilly where you have it and maybe it needs more warmth for the flowers to open.

I have used this website, Mr. Impatiens, a lot in the past to dream but also to ID ones I have seen. I hope it helps you find yours. Mr. Impatiens. Prepare to see such fun ones!! http://www.mrimpatiens.com/

West Babylon, NY

Wow, so I thought I was way off with the impatiens idea. The buds have been there for a while, and I was sort of thinking that they don't open at all on whatever plant this is. I am growing in South Florida. Will definitely be checking out that website and thanks for the response.

Castro Valley, CA

I just heard back from Derick at Mr. Impatiens website. He said "The Impatiens in the picture is a New Guinea hybrid. It is probably out of season for it." So not one of the fancier ones but still with those great leaves, a charmer. I hope the flowers finally open up for you which seems just waiting for the right season to explode with color.

West Babylon, NY

Thank you so much for the info! I wonder where it came from. I was beginning to think the flowers won't open but maybe it's been a bit too cold.

Other, Mauritius

looks like a fuchsia to me, could it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.