JANUARY 2021 Sewing/Crafting-Challenges, Organizing Ourselves and Sharing Ideas and Support..

Victoria Harbour, ON

We came from here...

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1545213/

Lordy with all going on I missed December, with most of us (all) on the Best/Worse,What did I learn today thread it seemed redundant to post 2 threads, however those who donít sew might find it overwhelming so here I am starting our 1st sewing thread of 2021..

I spend time Sunday organizing projects, can you imagine, found 24 projects not finished, some because there was a shortage of materials and supplies because Iím not shopping stateside.

Sharon challenged me to accomplishing at least 2 unfinished projects a month so I tagged them , January projects are 1) finishing Darlene/Johns Floridian Santa quilt 2) fishing panel

Does not mean we canít start and work on other treasures but we must do 2 unfinished, not sure that will add to more unfinished projects but we will see

I am trying to jazz the Santa throw, quite hard to figure out how, going to add some leaves and red berries I think.. want it to have more of a Floridian flare bit itís really hard when you are work8mg from your stash..I even wondered about adding a white border that I painted leaves on, or making 3 dimensional leaves???

Help please

This message was edited Jan 5, 2021 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Maybe instead of normal "Christmas" decorations added to the quilt, some surfer shorts, palm trees and don't forget flamingos!!! If I could choose only ONE Florida icon, I would choose Flamingos!

I have stacks of stuff cut out for the dolls and I will likely work on finishing up more of those and then storing them. Really, before I can do anything, I have to dig in and clean that sewing area. Suck up dust, mop floor and get stuff put away. I can't get to too ambitious putting away furniture until son is finished with the painting the trim. Who knows? I might paint that ONE stretch of trim that prevents me from moving furniture.

Victoria Harbour, ON

One of the santaís Is petting a flamingo, hmmm
Have to go through my fabric, sure wish I had flamingo, palm tree fabric. Drats, that was a great idea but Iíd be at a standstill again, donít want that

Likely could quilt it though then add some embellishments later

Knew you would have an answer

none available but darn ... https://www.joann.com/flamingo-jingle-christmas-cotton-fabric/16810558.html

Victoria Harbour, ON

Would have been perfect..Darlene messaged me, they are doing a porch drop off either Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting so Iíd like to get it done..put wonder under on my fabric of choice, cut in strips and ironed them together then cut out some leaves..after all the quilting is done I will sew down middle and the leaves will be dimensional and I will not have to appliquť them..

Omg Iíll give you all details of quilting, I enlarged the embroidery designs so that altered stitches from original, some designs 54k, add in the embroidered mini designs, the quilting I will do, have to say wonít be far off 1/2 million stitches..am I figuring it out properly??

Have to look to see if Iíve enough snowflake tone on tone, am sure I do as I want to put a 3Ē border..

So want it done and out of here..

Donít like it...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

The new green leaves are to go on??? And you don't like what? the Florida Santa quilt?
Marie had Phil in to his Primary Care physician today, now Xrays & MRI tomorrow. His circulatory system in legs in particular is just shot. He is in a LOT of pain with back, bowels, legs... you name it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Difficult times for sure ahead for both Marie and Phil..
Being in hospital getting care is not an option right now with Covid surging.
With such health issues he should be given morphine or the likes

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I love that Santa quilt, and I love those leaves.

Sending prayers for Marie and Phil.

Thanks for the new thread Betty.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sitting here knitting for another 1/2 hr then once I let Ziggy in Iíll start with Santa quilt, oh how I want it done..not sure how I will quilt but just want it done.

Ever start on a project and hate it after thinking youíd live it.

YEP, THOSE are the hardest ones to finish!!! Out of all the jean quilts I have done (probably 20), there was ONE I did not like. Luckily, I was able to stop and change it up before it became "too late". It was pink, blue & sage green. I had to take the green out, it just muddied up the look. The backing was a beautiful pastel plaid flannel.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lucky when you can change colour theme, itís when it is too late..did you take photo?

I just quilted 3 blocks, should have pit it on the frame as itís quite heavy however with the Santaís being embroidered I wanted more freedom to do them..using clear thread so that makes it easier.

Iíll take 1 hour break and do 3 more..

I have had those quilts too. Putting it off only delays getting it done.

Yea, where are those quilt fairies when we need them? I keep setting stuff but they don't come to my house!!!

No pics, it was years ago and before I even had a computer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

May fairies are in hiding as well...guess we all have quilts like that,question is when they go get done are we in love with them!

Just climbed into bed, had a full day..got the 8 embroidered blocks on quilt top done, got to say Iím pleased I donít have fake boobs because I said ouch and worse a whole lot today, they would have been deflated, not sure where I will go from here so leaving it til tomorrow morning..Iíd so love to have it quilted by tomorrow, big sigh

Yes, the "girls" can get in the way! And I know MINE do not like sewing pins!! LOL

Oh boy. I personally know how much those pins hurt.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Tried placing in different direction but I donít think it worked..
Today is a continuation of hundreds Iíd Covid days, housework done, all except my ďto doĒ pick so with nothing on my slate today Iím hoping I can finish the quilting.

Sure hope you have something far more exciting on your plate.

PAINTING, I hope to get some trim painted in the sewing room so I can move some stuff around in there. I hope to get one coat of paint on the dining room table I picked up a few months ago.

Adam & I will likely unload the chain link fencing out of the truck and go pick up the last roll of it. THEN we'll know if we have enough or not.

I hope to reconfigure a few masks. I prefer to have the 2 elastics AROUND the head rather than around the ears. I hope to get a few converted today and maybe make a few more masks for my son to leave in his rig.

At some point, I HAVE to clean and organize that garage. It is a HUGE mess and having that kitchen table in there doesn't help! another good reason to get it painted and out of there!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I like to use strips of tee shirt fabric for mask straps. A bit stretchy and so soft.

I wasn't happy with my trial of Tshirt fabric but I am giving it ANOTHER try with the super stretchy wicking compression shirts that Kevin discarded as too big. Another plus is they are black.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will it not b nice when we no longer have to wear the masks..I pray a time in my life will come when it should be so!

Had Suzanne drop in this morning, was nice to see her..we exchanged Christmas gifts, she lived the trick panel I did and I love my new nighty,soft and furry feel to it..almost tempted to have a bath and get into it but I shall wait and go try finish Santa quilt.

Sounds like you had a nice visit.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Having another human was a gift in itself, more dying in the area.they are talking about setting hours to be out, hope they do so and see if it works..

going to have lunch and hopefully get binding and leaves done today..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

That is beautiful.

I know you will be excited to get it GONE!!!

I need to get to the garage and paint that dining room table I drug home couple of months ago. It's sanded and ready to paint. Considering I just gave my old table to my former SIL, she picks it up tomorrow!!! LOL... that ought to be incentive to get done, right? I will have no dining/kitchen room table until I complete the makeover on the project one!

I did repurpose some of Kevin's old stretchy black workout shirts for the straps on the masks and I LOVE them!! I even offered to make some for another member of our church congregation. The masks that go over the ears are a hazard for those of us wearing hearing aids. You take off the mask and risk losing your hearing aid. NOT GOOD!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy, you even had time for sewing..

Had my coffee, made peace with the world, praying for USA and my friends and now its downstairs I go

Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19th and Iím finished my January challenge with Sharon
Not only the challenge but 3 more neckwarmers and also put fringe on a scarf

Victoria Harbour, ON

Even did some chicken and sliders..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, you overachiever you!!! Makes us looks like slugs! LOL. Those woven scarfs are just so beautiful! How are you doing for leather for your ski neck warmers? About out yet? I am eager to hear if you try that link I sent and whether it will be a good product and price or not.

Mostly I ran errands today and then sewing for entertainment, with exception of "remaking" a pair of jeans. I had a WHOLE bunch of doll clothes cut out on my break at work and I'm finally getting around to doing some of them. I'll be sick of purple when I'm done with this batch! Marie & I usually make the shirts a solid color so we can make the pants, skirts & shorts in prints. MUCH easier to make mix & match outfits that way. The shirts are generally the most time consuming of the items.

We have a "Buy Nothing" group in our area, you can give away things you don't need or ask for something you need. Today I picked up a sack (about 24? ) 4 oz individual size Orange juices that had been frozen. I never get a whole container of juice drank before it goes bad so this will be perfect.

Marie has her MD appointment at 10 so we are leaving 6 AM to get there in plenty of time. Maybe we should leave earlier, I'm driving! LOL

Finishing a few things & headed to bed early.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Safe travels Pat..

We have the same group here, that is where I put the free Christmas pieces on and didnít take long they were gone. Must tell you I could not work on itís bitsy clothing so I commend you..did though crochet quite a few doe nieces, omg that would have been 30-40 years ago..god Iím old.

Had 13 1/2 inches of snow last night, did my shovelling, just made a coffee while I wait for tub to fill..

I brought a cutting mat and cutter upstairs so I can watch tv this morning but still being creative. half the bundle of Valentineís Day fabrics were already cut in different sizes, Iíll check Pinterest to see if anything might work.

Might take a run to Sharons this afternoon to pick up fabric left from her penguin quilt..I was given deep blues for both sky and snow base so Iím hoping some of her left overs will do..if not Iíll do with with I have..just told Sharon Iím getting closer to closer to end of stash big sigh

You have been busy Betty.

Hard to believe you got so much snow. Glad I am in Texas.

THAT is a lot of snow in one night!!

14.1/2 hours later I am home safe, Marie delivered home. We had lunch, we went into a few thrift stores but not many, then headed home.

I used to sew for Barbies, trust me, these 18 inch America Girl style dolls are BIG and easy compared to that! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Makes for a long day Pat, you will sleep well tonight..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Made pinwheel blocks while watching tv yesterday, white and reds were already cut to 31/2 inches...was looking for a piece of fabric and found a bench pillow Valentineís Day kite all cut
Iím now pdeciding if I can incorporate both these sets of fabric into 1 piece or make it into 2

Drats just canít sleep, got up had a pudding, still feeling nauseated, maybe now with something on my tummyís can grab some sleep.

Victoria Harbour, ON

With January challenge and having done my projects Iíve moved on to February 2 projects

Have some pinwheels done, starting the penguins background panels, lordy I was a little concerned at how they said to do it but turned out perfect..Iíll do the 2nd penguin Panel background and start setting cut penguins on them, Iíll setup a machine for applique and everyone in a while I can applique a penguin

So on this stormy day Iíll keep myself busy with project..

I did find that bag with valentine day bench pillow all cut out, not sure if it will be set aside for next year as I sure donít need it...we will see, might be extra days in feb. to take it on.

Got so much done this morning as I was up and at it while daybreak came, tummy telling me itís lunch when itís not lol

Enjoy a sew sew day!

Karen, you are in my prayers..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Yep, drank too much caffeine, had too much creative energy flowing, couldn't sleep. I stayed up until 2 AM working on doll clothes. I finished up the purple that was cut out, and fair amount of well started. Then, cut out and made an argyle sweater, socks & headband (from the socks Marie bought at Goodwill in Post Falls)
2 nightshirts & diapers as a thank gift to family that gave me the chain link fence. .
Total:
8 purple blouses, 3 shorts, 1 pair of pants,,1 skirt
Sweater, socks, headband,
2 nightgowns & diapers

I need to get some REAL work done before sitting down at my sewing machine again or I will lose another whole day to "playing with dolls" IE sewing doll clothes. It just sucks me in, I enjoy it so much and I think, "I'll just finish this ONE thing...."

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just cannot image making all the little clothing and here you are making designer clothing..what a wonderful job Pat..you are just so creative..you are making the world that bit more special for someone.

Well I just put penguins on the 2 strips of fabric, at least now I can applique here and there

Still all the blocks to make..have the little 16 square blocks done, just need to do outer so they look like stars..Iím not overly thrilled with work8mg with flannel, itís high quality flannel but it has tendency to go wonky

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, when you say you have the little square blocks made, you mean the inside of the blocks, before you have the hst? To complete the block. That patterns so so seriously cute! I guess doll clothes suit my short attention span. I would have a difficult time getting the quilt top pieced, and then NEVER quilted, let alone bound.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes Pat, if you look at the inner section of the block you will see 16 mini squares making a 5 1/2 inch block..

I just clammed into bed, brought pattern with me, know there is an easier way of doing next step, donít want to do everything in one day lol

We all have our niche, yours certainly Is intricate small pieces.

Wind is up, dark sky, so far the storm was more blowing than anything else..was a warning on weather channel but Iím hoping it doesnít amount to much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.