Very Large Solid Black Fuzzy Caterpillar

Norcross, GA

Tonight I walked into my dining room where the patio door was open and saw what I first thought was a small mouse until I turned the light on. It was a really large, deep, solid black fuzzy caterpillar. It was fairly fat and maybe 4" long. I live in the Atlanta, GA area. I've never seen one that big, as in, damn, I hope it doesn't try to mate with my cat. Not a leopard gypsy moth as it was absolutely solid black. I encouraged it to leave with the toe of my shoe, which it did reluctantly. So, without resorting to a cheap 1950's Scifi movie, what was that? I'm glad that it didn't make it to my bed at night.

Minot, ND

Given your description, it would just about have to be a a caterpillar of the giant/great leopard moth, Hypercompe scribonia. Although these often show red bands, especially when flexed, they do exhibit a fair amount of individual variation and some specimens can appear virtually entirely black. See https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/great-leopard-moth/ for an example.

Norcross, GA

Thank you. The article in your link says that the caterpillars can grow to 2". This was much larger than that. There has been something eating the crap out of my tenant's lily with large leaves, but I could never see anything. Could it have been this caterpillar? Also, this seems to be native to Texas and I'm in N. Georgia. Could it, as a moth, have been blown in during the myriad of storms that we had this summer and fall? I'm glad it didn't start to make it's cocoon in my house. That's all I need while I'm lying in bed at night, a giant moth landing on me.

Minot, ND

I cannot think of another species that would match your description. It really would have helped if you had been able to submit a photograph of it. Next time? Also, you could be mistaken as to its size. I have found that it is very common for people to overestimate the size of insects and spiders. A moving hairy caterpillar or a long-legged spider can give the illusion of being much larger than its actual size. I've experienced this myself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.