Spearmint-Ack! Any ideas?

Corona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi folks! Hoping one of you has a creative plan of attack you’d like to share with me. At some point, somebody had the fantastic idea to plant mentha spicata as a border to my front lawn. I’ve been fighting an uphill battle with it since I moved in 5 years ago. I’m still losing. It’s everywhere.

Upside: it smells good when I mow
Downside: planted alongside the mint? Morning glories

Any ideas are welcome. I’m so tired of hunting runners on my lawn. My neighbors must think I’m a lunatic.

Thank you!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Tough battle! I have chocolate mint here and there by one garden. It IS nice to smell when you weed, haha.

You might carefully apply Roundup to some of the ends, that would be absorbed back to the runner and main stem. But you have to keep it off everything else, so it can be tricky. One way is nicknamed 'glove of death.' Put on a plastic/latex glove, then a cotton glove, wet the glove with roundup, stroke just the offending plant parts to coat them.

If it's the lawn invading that bothers you most, maybe a 'broadleaf weed' killer spray would be good.

Citrus Heights, CA

you will have to chemically remove it.If you don't want to use chemicals you can solarize it next summer all summer.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mint and bindweed travel. Usually the mint will kill itself over time if it doesn't travel. Bindweed, morning glories, but roundup is intended to ignore grasses, it kills everything else. It does do damage to broadleaf plants like St Augustine tho

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.