Weird, large, dry patch on new snake plant. Should I be concerned?

Athens, OH

I just got a large snake plant off of Facebook marketplace, and the largest stalk (Is this the right word to use?) has a large dry patch right at the bottom (photos below). The texture is dry, wrinkly, and firm. Not mushy at all. No evidence of bugs that I can see. I was considering cutting the stalk off above the patch and trying to propagate it, but I know that can take a long time with snake plants. I'd like to avoid that if the patch is just evidence of past damage.

Any ideas on what this might be and what I should do? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thumbnail by cthiess1 Thumbnail by cthiess1 Thumbnail by cthiess1
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Definitely dead tissue. Maybe sun burn? Cut it to the ground if you find it objectionable and do as you said - cut the dead tissue off, let the healthy top callus over a few days and then propagate it. They aren't that difficult to do.

Here are a few I grew in a trash can (yep with several inches of water when we got lots of rain to nothing when I tipped it over to get rid of mosquito larvae).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.