Overwintering plants that are unhealthy

Pomfret Center, CT(Zone 6a)

So I purchased a bunch of plants from Lowe’s that are in really rough unhealthy shape. I think they have a chance of being nursed back to life. My question is though after pruning all the bad parts out, should I keep the plants in my unheated greenhouse over the winter or bring them inside and keep them in my grow room under the shop lights? They are hydrangeas, spirea bushes and hibiscus. Looking for advice on how I should proceed. Do they need to go through the cold weather process in order to survive? Any suggestions, would be great! Thanks!

Thumbnail by FLOWERShappy15 Thumbnail by FLOWERShappy15 Thumbnail by FLOWERShappy15 Thumbnail by FLOWERShappy15
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The spirea and hydrangea paniculata should do fine but the big leaf hydrangea and depending on the hibiscus would probably be questionable in your zone. The big leaf will survive but I've heard a lot of folks who can't get them to bloom due to the late frosts killing the bloom buds or even killing the limbs to the ground. Read up on how to winter protect big leaf hydrangea bloom buds. What kind of hibiscus did you get?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.