Will this willow come back or is it toast?

West Kingston, RI

I just started gardening at a new clients house and there is this butchered willow that shes hoping I cam bring back. I'm not sure what type it is unfortunately.
As you can see it's quite sad with a huge trunk that's no longer supportive, I cut away most of the suckers and left a couple of the biggest ones. Will there be hope for it if i can keep all of the sucker's cut and keep promoting the ones left ? Thanks for any advice !

West Kingston, RI

The willow

Thumbnail by Beediegal Thumbnail by Beediegal
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it has a good chance. I often cut the one by our deck to the ground and it comes back with a vengeance. It often can grow ten feet in a year.

June 22, 2019 after cutting it to the ground in winter.
July 26, 2019
April 12, this year - I've hedged it some else it would take over.
April 6, 2015 as a seedling with a birch tree too.
June 20, 2017 I had to use a scaffold to reach the upper branches. I had cut it knee high back in early February when we had a new deck put in. That is how fast they can grow.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
West Kingston, RI

Oh wow!! That definitely gives me hope!! Thank you for sharing the pics. Seems like they're resilient as heck !

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Fairly resilient. Easy to start from cuttings too or so I've been told. I had one willow that I let honeysuckle grow up in hopes of getting the spiral look in the trunk. The weight of the honeysuckle broke it and I had to cut it down. I think termites finished it off. My parents started a weeping willow from a cutting and it was over 30 foot tall when they decided it was too messy to keep (plus it attracted houseflies).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.