Getting Poblano peppers to mature?

Rushville, NY

I am in western NY. I planted poblano peppers this year, starting from plants, intending on letting them mature and using them for pepper sauce.
The plants grew nicely and produced lots of fruit, but they never matured. As soon as they start to redden up, they also start to rot, or something that looks like rot.
I am thinking maybe it just doesn't get hot enough, or maybe the growing season is too short? Is it possible to grow them just south of Canada?

I have harvested them and made my sauce. It is okay, but not what I wanted. If I can't ripen them I won't try again next year.
Thanks.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Pictures would be helpful to maybe see the problem. Could be blossom end rot, sun scald or something else. That aside, nursery start poblanos are usually mild, fleshy chilies generally reserved for stuffing, frying, roasting or smoking (ancho chilies). How did they disappoint? What type of sauce did you make?

I grow eight to ten pepper varieties each year and rotate poblanos every two or three. Didn't grow them this year but grew pimento, sweet banana, cherry belle, lemon, pepperoncini, Dulce de Espana, jalapeno, Serrano and Lunch Box red. I ferment the hot peppers for sauce and roast and freeze the excess mild ones.

Rushville, NY

When they start to get red they develop dry rotten spots. Eventually the whole thing goes bad. They are fine before they start to get red.

The sauce is very simple; just microwaved in a steamer and pureed. Incredible over chicken tortellini. I usually use ripe Hungarian wax mixed with red bell peppers, but thought red poblano would be interesting. Since I don't seem to be able to get red, I used green; while acceptable, it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There are sites that offer advice on best peppers to grow in cooler climates. I looked up your location and am impressed that you have grown peppers! One suggestion, if you are not doing this already, is to grow peppers in a raised bed or pots where the soil temps will be hotter. Another is to investigate information on blossom end rot, a calcium uptake issue, which is common with peppers and tomatoes and may be your problem. Disregard advice on instant cures. If the watering or soil nutrients are incorrect to begin with the problem will persist. You should be using low nitrogen and high phosphorus fertilizer in your climate. Do you have recommendations from a local extension service?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.