Journals Will Be Going Away Soon!

los angeles, CA

As the title states, the journals will be removed from the site in an upcoming update. SAVE ANY INFO YOU MAY WANT TO KEEP NOW!!

In efforts to streamline the site we made the decision to remove some lesser used items so we may focus on what's most important such as plantfiles search and overall site speed/performance.

Here are the additional items that will be removed:

Garden Bookworm
Videos
Insectopedia
Extra's Section

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7b)

How can we export the information? I have over 200 items in my current journal and really need to keep it as this is how I organize my garden!

los angeles, CA

I'm looking to see if we can provide users with a .csv export of your data. I'll update you once I know more.

Quote from jnn :
How can we export the information? I have over 200 items in my current journal and really need to keep it as this is how I organize my garden!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Please send help as soon as possible about saving journal and date of demise. I have nearly 7000 entries. My life!

los angeles, CA

I'm working with the team to see if we can provide you an organized download of your data.

Quote from bbrookrd :
Please send help as soon as possible about saving journal and date of demise. I have nearly 7000 entries. My life!

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have the same problem - my journal is massive - please help! I know I haven't added to it much lately, because I have been consumed by a major house and garden move and renovation, but I always planned to get back to it.

I always thought we should have been able to download our journals and work on them offline anyway - I would pay for standalone software like this - IF I COULD FIND ANY!

Please let me know what is happening ASAP!

Ciao, KK.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with the others, I've had my plant journal since 2011, and value the information. It would be great if you could give those a way of saving all our information. At least explain how we can save it to our computers, before you delete all our years of work.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from IBtyen :
I'm working with the team to see if we can provide you an organized download of your data.

Quote from bbrookrd :

Thank you, it would be great.

Please give us time to transfer the information in our journals. I still use mine constantly and have years of information in it. Some lily registry information that isn't available online any more, records of seedling that I've grown for myself, and just records that are invaluable to me as to where things are planted in my many gardens.
It's too bad people haven't been using the journal enough for developers to see it's value. It is such a useful tool on this site.

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I agree with others: it is a lot of data - built up over many years - to summarily delete as if it's not important. I'm surprised that your first consideration wasn't to work out how to allow people to retain their own data, rather than try to come up with something after the announcement.

Am I right in assuming that a .csv export would be text only? For me the issue is all the images that I've put up on my Journal - and, I'd add, posted at times (55 to be precise) to PlantFiles, to the benefit of your site). Can you also work out a way provide a download of Journal images?

If you are taking away Journals which you don't see as important, but are keeping PlantFiles which you see as important, I think I might want to investigate how I can remove my PlantFiles contributions at some point...

I have made a few contributions too, since 2003, although my participation has dimmed out since it became too difficult to navigate the site. So in February they want garden experts to contribute more and by September, they'll take away the best tool that some experienced gardeners left at DG might want to use. What they leave for us and is most used, are chat threads about going to the dentist or whose grandchild got their drivers licence. Where have all the gardeners gone?

PlantFiles:
91 Plants
31 Comments
226 images
104 zipcode reports
1,977 Details

This message was edited Oct 7, 2020 3:39 PM

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I am also upset that they are going to keep all of our photos from our journals in their plant files. Doesn't seem right or fair when the agreement is that we could have our journals as our own databases in exchange for having our photos be part of their database. Now they are not allowing us to even download our files which many of us spent countless hours/days/weeks building. I also gave money to this website because I understood it took money to store everything for us, but now you are taking away one of the most useful parts of the site. There is no other equivalent alternative that I know out there, so other than getting .csv files to dump into Excel (which, as someone said, means we will lose all of our photos-one of the most important parts is matching the photo with the descriptions of all of these plants!!) and that is IF you even get this done in time for us to have a way to get our information. I am beyond angry about this decision you have made, apparently without input from your users!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2020 3:33 PM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Is there someway I can print or at least view my journal now that you have made it disappear? This has caused a mess to my planting plans of thousands of bulb as I can’t see where I previously planted them. Help is needed soon, please.

Yes and can you have a look and tell me which beds I have Sanguisoba in and what species and cultivars are there, please.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am in the middle of having to move all the shrubs, bulbs and perennials in beds that total more than 200 feet x 15 feet due to failing retaining walls. This is obviously a nightmare as I need to adjust the new location for each pant material being moved in my journal. My garden has been featured in the Garden Conservancy Open Days Tours where 400 people would visit in a day, so having my Dave’s Garden Journal to accurately identify my plantings is critical to these visitors. I printed out a map with lists of plants in each beds . I now have no way to do this. My garden is also visited yearly during Nantucket Daffodil Festival by garden people wishing to see the 500 plus Narcissus cultivars planted on my property. Please fix this ASAP.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Edited due to removal of preceding spam post to which this formerly responded.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2021 12:12 PM

Barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

I just sent an email to admin, but now I have found this thread. I, too, am extremely upset about the loss of my garden journal -- been using it since 2005. Luckily I have printed each year...except 2020. Any way to recover that data? Any solutions pending??

Please help.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh no... I came back to access my journal. I missed the boat.So many plant entries, cultivars, placement....on and on. I am sure I got a notification at some point. Any way possible to find my journal?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Same here Sue. Devastated to find that my years of neglecting Dave's Garden now has my history all jumbled. #onlinewoes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.