Are these spider mites?

Santa Moncia, United States

Hello, I just bought this sweet pea shrub from my local Ace Nursery. A few days later I noticed the leaves were curling, so I watered. But then I noticed evidence of what I thought were bugs. I did a bug treatment using Captain Jack's concentrate, with a good watering and may have overwatered slightly as yellow leaves are now appearing at the base. But that's another story... So, I took these photos with my phone - got pretty close up. Are these spider mites? I did do a secondary spray application directly on the leaves without over watering and I'm hoping it will help. This is the only plant in my small garden that has this black powdery stuff. I have mostly succulents and some purple grass.

Thank you!

Thumbnail by AGHouse Thumbnail by AGHouse Thumbnail by AGHouse Thumbnail by AGHouse
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

There isn't a lot of evidence of spider mites there. I saw one small web that might indicate the presence of some? The black residue is probably black mold which is more indicative of some kind of insect that emits honeydew and is a food for ants and black mold. Usually if you see ants then you have aphids but those are easily seen with the naked eye. The little white skeletons remind me of white flies.

I have a feeling your spraying with Captain Jack may have gotten rid of the culprits but not the mold (usually not harmful but not pleasant to look at either).

Continue to blast the mold off with a hard spray of water when you can or cut it off. The plant should send out new shoots if it is healthy enough.

Santa Moncia, United States

Thank you hcmcdole! Very helpful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.