SOLVED: Please help identify this shrub

Islip, NY

The shrub in the photos is a deciduous, woody stemmed plant. It is about 3 ½' X 4'. It used to have a single main stem and get pink flowers in summer. I have a vague recollection of it being a viburnum. Two winters ago, the landscape crew cut it to the ground during final fall cleanup (Despite my instructions not to cut any woody-stemmed plant, grr.) When it came back in spring 2019, it had multiple stems and hasn't bloomed since. I am in zone 6, Long Island, NY. The shrub is growing in sandy soil in partial shade with full morning sun. It seems healthy enough. Do any of you recognize this shrub and have any advice as to how to get it to bloom? Should I prune it to a single main stem next spring?

Thumbnail by kisa Thumbnail by kisa
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Doesn't look like any Viburnum sp. I know.

Reminds me of Butterflybush - formerly Buddleia davidii.

Rome, Italy

I can't see if the leaves are paripinnate or imparipinnate

Thumbnail by scatola
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think the leaves are simple, and opposite.

kisa could take and post some additional closeup images of the leaves, stems, growing tips, etc.which would clarify that.

Islip, NY

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this, Viburnum Valley. Life does get in the way. I hope some of you will see the additional close-up of the leaves and will recognize the plant. It still has not budded or flowered.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2020 2:27 PM

Thumbnail by kisa
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

bump

San Francisco, CA

Perhaps it is a Deutzia.

Islip, NY

Yes, Vestia is right! It bloomed this year. It is a Deutzia Pink Pompom,

Thumbnail by kisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.