Please help with begonias.

Blythewood, SC

Wanting to help out the bees, I decided to get some flowers.
Too late to plant now, right? So, thought I should just get some already grown flowers instead for now.
So, while at Walmart today, I found a couple pots of begonias on clearance. They’re not in super awesome shape, but they had more flowers than most of the other plants. Couldn’t find anything native, but hoping they’re a bit too sensitive to become invasive in my area. (Any insight on that? I live in the middle of South Carolina. Growing zone 8a. Lots of clay in the dirt where I live.) ✅

I have a few questions for anybody who would be willing to help me with any of them:
What kind of begonias are these? ✅
Do these transplant well? I kind of want to switch them to different soil, I would guess that from a normal store the soil would have pesticides in it, right?
You can see in the pictures that some other flowers have already died. Will these continue to flower until it gets too cold?
What should I do to care for them at this point? As you can see there are some dead flowers still attached, should I leave these here to collect seeds that they will produce? Or should I cut them off? How about the damaged leaves? Anything else I should do to these plants to make them healthier now?
Is saving seed from these to plant next year possible? ✅ For example, are these easy to grow from seed? And is there anything special about collecting them storing seed from this plant that I should know?

Thank you for any help you can give. I know there are a lot of questions here, but I really appreciate anything you can contribute!

**I’m putting checkmarks next to questions that have been answered so far.
People looking for help like me will know what answers they can find here. Those who want to help will know without having to read the comments which questions are still unanswered.**

This message was edited Aug 7, 2020 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by HiImMel Thumbnail by HiImMel Thumbnail by HiImMel Thumbnail by HiImMel

As element of the interaction likely into the 2020 NFL Draft subsequent 7 days, a lot of include speculated the staff may include the offensive line more. Sadly, owing toward opinions produced via the staff members in the course of the treatment, it seemed they would most likely forego that resolution, right until these days. All through the team pre-draft drive convention with the area Jacksonville media at present by means of Zoom, Jaguars intellect prepare Doug Marrone was requested primarily what generated him bullish within the outside of pertaining to the team offensive line, and their power in the direction of produce a umpgoing in advance following period. Yesterday, continue to, Marrone didn search as bullish upon the team offensive line, breaking down every single participant who performed higher snaps for the staff, having said that concluding that he does appear to be optimistic with regards to the point neighborhood likely into yr 2 with offensive line train George Warhop https://www.jaguarssalutetoservicestore.com/87-Brian_Price . Marrone explained he expects Jaguars instantly handle Jawaan Taylor in the direction of generate a ig increasesoon after understanding a large amount final period, When indicating A.J. Cann is at straight shield, nonetheless, Will Richardson is a participant the personnel demands in the direction of ust spot him within a single position expressing he can participate in equally secure and handle https://www.jaguarssalutetoservicestore.com/24-Donnell_Greene . Richardson break repetitions with Cann at shield for the vast majority of closing period though filling within at swing take care of as expected. here have been occasions the place (Richardson) performed superior than he consists of in just the last, and there ended up from time to time wherever he didn do as nicely as he desired in direction of,stated Marrone. The team brain teach was extremely bullish upon middle Brandon Linder, even so, indicating he was a person of the op facilities in just the leaguevery last 12 months, even with a down time. Even though he was a lot guaranteed more than 3 employment together the team offensive line https://www.jaguarssalutetoservicestore.com/62-Dj_Alexander , he did present some testimonials for the team remaining safeguard and remaining take care of place, saying that he thinks remaining secure Andrew Norwell ets fight up Really good indicating outside the house spectators include critiqued the 6th-yr offensive linemen greatly within the very last. ..there are instances after he misses the go block - his lousy performs are undesirable - and he gets to be let down with that, still I truly feel tender more than that, on your own understand, wholesome,Marrone talked about of Norwell, nd then Cam (Robinson) the one particular that, yourself recognize, didn perform as properly as his 1st yr with us, he was hurt and overlooked a large amount of prepare timeobinson overlooked the team initially 2 video games When proceeding toward get well in opposition to a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), endured early in the course of the 2018 period. He way too neglected numerous routines, however recovering against the damage, even so toughed it out taking part in and setting up inside the team getting 14 online games upon the 12 months. Marrone reiterated that he does come to feel Terrific concerning the point, nevertheless it does not suggest the personnel are not able to increase competitors within that nearby. oes it say that ey, wee happy with that community and these five I not claiming that, I imagine we can normally just take much better Brandon Wright Hoodie,claimed Marrone, e can often incorporate level of competition, and we can generally incorporate starters yourself notice relying upon where by this sort of adult men are and in which we acquire them. All over again, I anticipate that neighborhood toward choose a significant leap with educate Warhop remaining their train for the moment 12 months. Laviska Shenault excels inside of curl routes Chris Conley debuts well timed small-motion picture https://www.jaguarssalutetoservicestore.com/30-Jermey_Parnell , Quarantime Although Chris Conley is a soccer participant essentially, he consists of ongoing his consideration inside of filmmaking, this period with a shorter-movie.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are semperflorens (always flowering) begonias. They are commonly known as wax begonias (the look like melted wax in the heat of the day) and are often used as bedding plants. They will need water though to look their best. I see so many of them planted in beds and then left to root hog or die. So during a hot dry spell they will probably die or look like death.

These may be sterile hybrids you have but if the seeds are viable then you might see some pop up next year.

If you had the species type, then you would more than likely see several come up from seed the following year once the ground is warm again. I have a few that come up from seed every year, bloom, set seed, and repeat. I call them weedy begonias but I like that. They are not invasive at all.

Here are a couple of pictures of my "weedy" begonia in flower and many seed pods (the seed inside each capsule could be hundreds as the individual seed is like dust). The first two are in dappled shade. The 3rd photo is in hot midday sun alongside succulents, growing in the crack of flagstone, perfectly happy but not as big as the ones in shady areas.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Blythewood, SC

Quote from hcmcdole :
Those are semperflorens (always flowering) begonias. They are commonly known as wax begonias (the look like melted wax in the heat of the day) and are often used as bedding plants. They will need water though to look their best. I see so many of them planted in beds and then left to root hog or die. So during a hot dry spell they will probably die or look like death.

Oh I didn’t think about them possibly being sterile.
I don’t see any dead flowers on yours. I wonder if it’s the weather here or if mine we’re just not kept well at the store.
Thanks so much for all of this information! It really helps a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.