Greenhouse Newbie

Pittsboro, NC

Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found you.

We used to grow a very successful summer vegetable garden, but we stopped gardening when our twins were born. Now that they are older and (a bit) less demanding, we would like to grow our own vegetables again. However, we have since moved from Wisconsin to North Carolina and into a neighborhood that is both lousy with deer and has somewhat restrictive covenants. Due to the deer (as well as a desire to extend our growing season), we are considering a greenhouse. However, due to the neighborhood covenants we are required to build a structure that can be painted the same color as our house (insert eyeroll). The only prefab "greenhouse" we have found that we think would pass muster is the one pictured below. It measures 10x12 feet and all windows can be opened for ventilation. I would truly appreciate your opinions about whether this structure could make for an even semi-functional greenhouse. We are not looking to do anything too fancy, just supplement our store bought produce (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, basil, strawberries) for 8-9 months out of the year. But, we don't want to waste our time or money if we are unlikely to be able to accomplish even those modest goals with this greenhouse.

I am so grateful for your experience and input!

Thumbnail by sand9417
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

That is a small GH. I had a 14x18 at our last house and it was overflowing in less than 3 years. Most advice I read and hear is buy the biggest you can afford as it will fill up quickly.

I am sure it will do nicely if you can keep the number of plants to a minimum and no extra large plants too.

If I had it to do over again, I would get one much bigger and have a plumber/electrician run water/gas/electricity to the building since my first one had a hose, kerosene portable heater, and an extension cord for necessary functions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.