Something\'s growing on my squash blossoms.

Waterbury, CT

A few of my patty pan squash blossoms have this on them. Any idea what it is?

Thumbnail by no1nct
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Squash blossom mold which also rots the fruit. Wet weather or overwatering will do it.

Waterbury, CT

Thank you. We had a couple of weeks where it rained everyday recently. Is there any treatment?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2020 3:15 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have not had success with organic solutions in the past and have never tried Daconil, which is not organic, on squash. Perhaps you can research that. It's a control of last resort for me.

Have you had any harvest yet? I'd get rid of all affected fruit and flowers. If it continues, get rid of plants and don't plant cucurbits in that spot for several years. Fortunately I am having a good squash and pumpkin year after several problem years. I didn't grow for three years.

Waterbury, CT

Right now there are about 5 fruits that haven't been affected, which I am going to pick today. It seems to have only affected male blossoms. I have been going out every morning and cutting off any affected parts. Usually there is only one or two blossoms with the mold. Today when I went out there was no mold. Unfortunately we are getting rain today so I think it will be back.

Waterbury, CT

I picked 3 of the 5, the others are really small. I really hope I can keep this under control. I won't use Daconil after reading the warning label.

Thumbnail by no1nct

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.